51 - Three Conditions

"Father"

Li Aifen smiled brightly at her father, confident that he would agree to anything for her happiness.

"What are your conditions?"

Knowing better to trust a demon, the old fox knew there was more to the young man's scheme. But the thought of his daughter becoming a Princess of Wu Xi was also a temptation he cannot ignore.

"First, you will return all seventeen chests I've sent earlier today. After all, Marquess Li, you're asking this Duke to trade Wang Fei. It's no easy feat"

Wu Jian smirked when the Marquess' expression dropped to the first condition.

"This noble daughter of yours, for her dowry, Marquess Li shall provide 20 years' worth of your annual income" Before the Marquess could react, the Duke continued with his final condition. "And finally, your second eldest son shall enroll in the army, of course, under Wu Xi troop"

The room went silent.

"You have no intentions of taking my daughter as your Wang Fei" Marquess Li finally spoke. "To set such a ridiculous demand"

"Ridiculous?" Wu Jian chuckled while he leaned against Ruyi arm. "How is it ridiculous? For Ruyi, you provided a year of your income. Now I understand it's due to her mother's status. But for your eldest, she is your phoenix child, is she not? How can you provide a measly year income for her wedding? Should it not be 20 times more than a measly daughter of a maid?"

Wu Jian looked at Li Aifen and saw how she was falling for his words like a fool. She didn't understand that 20 years' worth of the Marquess income meant his entire life fortune. If the Marquess wants to maintain his current lifestyle with beautiful concubines and children, how could he just give away all of his fortune?

"As for your son... I'm doing you a great deed by taking one of your sons under my wing. Just think, if he works hard, he'll become a troop general in 20 years. If his sister becomes a Princess, it will be his job to protect her." Wu Jian glanced at the young man who had already turned white from fear. "That is if he survives this Duke's troop training. That, I cannot guarantee even if he is my brother-in-law"

Every man in the country knows it's not easy to be selected as part of the great Duke Haijin's army. It's even harder to survive in it. A scholar who doesn't known the hardship of life will not survive one day in Wu Xi army training camp much less 20 years. What's guarantee is the Marquess' second son will die once he stepped foot in the training ground.

"Father please" Li Aifen had only heard the good and not the hidden horror behind Wu Jian's conditions.

"Sister" Her younger brother was barely 18 and yet he understood the cost of Wu Jian's final condition.

"Brother, this is for your sister's happiness. Do this for me. Plus, it will benefit you as well to be one of Duke Hajiin's people"

She only cared about herself and no one else – that much was clear.

"Get out"

Wu Jian was not surprised by Marquess Li's cold, calm decision. Very much like his daughter, he only cared about himself and no one else. While the eldest daughter was crying and screaming for her father to agree, Wu Jian stood with a playful grin.

"Once this Duke and his Wang Fei leaves, we will not return to this place"

"Don't return" The Marquess said sharply with a finger pointed to the doors.

Laughing, Wu Jian held onto Ruyi's hand and strolled out the same way he came in – tall, strong, and proud. His servant and guards followed steadily behind him, ignoring Li Aifen's loud screaming.