Chapter 3

"All injured cats, come see me now!" Prickletail's voice was anxious. Well, I can see why. After seeing Owltalon's wounds, He must've been worried.  Grasspaw thought. Owltalon had been badly injured in the battle. He couldn't even walk without limping, and Prickletail had him resting in the medicine den. 

   "Prickletail?" Grasspaw's mew was quiet, as usual. 

"Yes, Grasspaw?" Prickletail blinked at her.

"Can I go out into the forest?" Grasspaw shuffled her paws.

"Sure. Just as long as you gather herbs. Be back before sunset." Prickletail's meowed.

"Thanks!" Grasspaw bounded out of the medicine den, relieved to be away from the scent of herbs for a while. As she padded out of the thorn tunnel,  Thorntooth, who was on guard duty, spoke to her.

"Where are you off to?" 

"Gathering herbs." Grasspaw shrugged.

Grasspaw padded out of camp, and looked up at the late Greenleaf sky. The sun was shining directly overhead, which meant it was sunhigh. Grasspaw headed towards the northeast part of the river, hoping to find some marigold; they didn't have much left. 

  As Grasspaw searched around the river for marigold, she thought she could smell some. She closed her eyes and opened her mouth, tasting the air, but only smelled water. When she opened her eyes, shallow water was lapping at her paws, and she was surrounded by darkness. Then, she heard a voice echoing around her:

"Trust the sun to light the way in the Darkness"

The darkness faded, and she was back in the real world. Grasspaw shivered, a sudden chill crawling across her spine. 

  Grasspaw walked back to camp, lost in her own thoughts. What did it mean? What was the prophecy about?  She shook herself back to reality. The sun was barely visible on the horizon. The sky, which was now beginning to sparkle with silverpelt, was a deep purplish- blue.

  "Grasspaw!" Prickletail's mew was angry. "I thought I told you to be back before sunset!"

Grasspaw shrank down, her belly fur brushing the floor of the medicine den. 

"I-I'm sorry, Prickletail." Grasspaw closed her eyes, waiting for more scolding.

Prickletail sighed. "Just try to get back when you should next time. It was hard taking care of all these cats alone." Prickletail's voice was a bit more gentle. "Thanks for the marigold."

Grasspaw nodded, and padded to her nest. She'd decided not to tell Prickletail about the prophecy.