Surfer City

I glared out the window at the passing scenery.

I heard a heavy sigh come from the left of me but I didn’t turn to ask what was wrong.

I already knew what was on her mind.

I hadn’t talked to her since I found out they were getting a divorce.

I hadn’t talked to her when I was packing up my things.

I hadn’t talked to her the entire plane ride her and I sure didn’t start now as we were driving in the rental car to our new destination.

‘Our new home.’

I cringed inwardly at the term.

One month ago my life was fine.

Three weeks ago I found out that my parents were fighting, keeping it hidden from me.

They said they had fallen out of love many years ago and we ready to move on from each other.

They said they only stayed together for me and couldn't handle it anymore.

They said I just didn’t understand.

I was furious.

They were my parents. They were in love. They were suppose to be together forever.

Who ever said love was suppose to last forever was on crack.

I didn’t hate my parents for the divorce.

I hated the fact that my mother decided to take full custody of me, my father giving up all rights freely.

I felt crushed when I found out. It felt like he didn’t love me enough to take care of me by himself.

Sure, we never really got along, but I didn’t know he would disown me.

I felt even more devastated when my mother decided to take me from our small quiet town in Michigan to a noisy city in California.

Away from my friends.

Away from my school.

Away from everything.

I don’t get why my mother wanted to move all the way out here and I didn’t bother to ask. I hadn’t talked to her, like I said, since I found out about the divorce. But I figured it was because she wanted a new start. She didn’t want to see my father.

“A new start would be nice,” I remembered her telling me.

A nice start for her.

I on the other hand only have a few months before I have to restart life over again in college.

It was the middle of the school year meaning people already had clicks and I would most likely be an outcast.

I would have to make all new friends to just say goodbye to in five months.

I didn’t see the point.

But I wouldn’t tell my mother that.

She would most likely say something along the lines of “It’s just school. It‘s not about friends honey.”

So that’s why I decided I would fly by without getting too attached to anyone.

It was only five months.

Not that long to wait before I was off to college.

My eyes darted to a sign along side the street.

‘Welcome to the city of Huntington Beach.’

I scoffed crossing my arms, “Surfer city. Lovely.”