(1) The Fall

"Long ago, two races ruled over Earth: humans and monsters. One day, war broke out between the two races. After a long battle, humans were victorious. They sealed the monsters underground with a magic spell."

Everyone in my history class groaned. We had heard this story so many times that it quickly became annoying every time it was mentioned. No one was looking forward to a whole unit about it. I was preparing to space out through the lesson when a paper ball landed on my desk. I opened it and it said:

Hannah,
You know the legend, right? That anyone who climbs Mount Ebott never returns. Well I dare you to climb it after school today.
-Bri

I then turned the paper over and wrote,

Bri,
Meet me at our tree at lunch. We'll discuss this then.
-Hannah

I then crumpled the paper back up and tossed it at my twin sister. I watched as she opened it and read the note. She then turned to me and gave me a thumbs up. We then turned back to the lesson and tried to pay attention to the teacher.  And by paying attention I mean spacing out during the whole lesson.  After class, the bell rang for lunch. I went outside and climbed mine and Bri's tree.

"Hey sis!" I heard the familiar voice call.

I jumped out of the tree and said, "I'll climb the mountain if you come with me."

"Wow, no hey sis, how are you?" She asks sarcastically.

"Hey sis! How are you today," I replied with my voice dripping with sarcasm.

"I'm good! How are you?" She replied with even more sarcasm.

"I'm good.  Anyway, I'll climb the mountain if you come with me." I say, getting back on track.

"I don't know..." she says, hesitant.

I gave her my puppy dog eyes. No one can resist my puppy dog eyes.

"Fine." She gives in.

"Yay! After school we can stop at home to change and grab some clothes and personal belongings in case we're gone for awhile!" I say excitedly.

"Okay, but what about the legend?" She asks quietly.

"I don't believe the legend." I say.

"Okay" she replies after a moment.

Then the bell rings and we go back inside and head off to our next class. After school, we climb on our bikes and head home. We go into our shared bedroom and change out of our school uniform. I put on a pink and yellow striped tank top, brown skirt, black fingerless gloves, and brown hiking boots. Bri wore the same thing except her tank top was blue and green striped. I then pull my long brown and pink tipped hair into a high ponytail. Bri, once again, did the same, except her hair was blue tipped.

We grab our messenger bags and packed some clothes, a hairbrush, our phones, a phone charger, headphones, and some other personal belongings. We then grabbed our best friend necklaces and our lockets and put them on. We then stepped outside of the house and looked out to the mountain.

"I'm ready if you are." I say.

"Okay, I'm ready." She says hesitantly after a deep breath.

We then began our journey to the mountain. At the base of the mountain, I saw Bri hesitant to continue, looking like she wanted to be anywhere except from here. I know I said I would only go if she would go too, but, while it wasn't anything I had really wanted to do before, I was excited to climb Mount Ebot and I didn't want to push my sister into doing something she didn't want to do.

"You don't have to come if you don't want to." I say to her.

She sighed in relief and replied, "Yeah, I'd rather not go. I don't want to risk disappearing forever."

"Okay. You can go home. If I don't come back, don't go looking for me. I don't want you to get hurt because of me. I love you sis." I say seriously.

Bri looked as if she wanted to protest but she knew it wouldn't work so she nods and says, " I love you too sis."

We then hug tightly and Bri waved goodbye, and then ran home. Once Bri was out of sight, I began my climb. After a couple of hours, I reached the peak. At the peak, it was weird. The peak wasn't really a peak. It was completely flat. There was also a gorgeous view. I took a picture with my camera to show Bri, when I saw her again.

Then I noticed a hole in the middle of the flat peak. I walked towards it, curious as to where it lead. But, with me being the clumsiest person on earth, I then tripped over a root, and went tumbling, face first, down the hole. I watched as the hole grew smaller and smaller. I then felt my body smash into the ground and everything went black.