Chapter 5

Ana's recovery was going well although she hadn't left her father's home yet and had decided to keep herself hidden away from her fathers colleagues and associates instead. She had been spending more time with Erin - who had come over almost everyday to see her 'sister' - and had had no contact with Antonio since their conversation almost two weeks ago.

On the other side of town, Antonio was still angry. His former girlfriend had hid her pregnancy from him and then allowed him to go untold regarding the news of their baby's death. Erin had tried speaking to him, Jay had even tried after Erin had told him what had happened between the Detective and the Voight. No one was having any luck. But Antonio wanted to know, he wanted to know everything. He wanted to know everything he could about the little boy Ana had carried in her body, he wanted to know how it was when he opened his eyes for the first time, how he smiled and how the little one gurgled. He wanted to know if he had been a happy baby, if Ana had been happy. Could he have made a family with the two? Could his presence have stopped Nicolas' death? He just wanted answers.

****
3 Weeks Later

The sun broke from behind the clouds on a July morning but despite the weather changing for the better Ana continued to stay indoors whilst her dad had been called out to a case in the early hours of the morning.

The young Voight had been rooting through some old photos she had dragged down from the loft for the past few hours when the doorbell rang. Dusting herself off, Ana climbed over the piles of photo card and photo albums that had been discarded across the floor.

"Coming." She called rather angrily as the owner of the wrapped knuckles continued to knock the door.

The alternating between knocking and ringing of the bell continued.

Frustrated, the young woman pulled open the heavy door open. "What?" She demanded, frustrated.

"Sorry I- I uh" Antonio muttered, clearly realising he had caught the woman at a bad time.

Feeling a little bad for her snappy tone, Ana rubbed her forehead slightly. "It's okay. What are you doing here?"

She felt slightly exposed, her thin dressing gown hung over her shorts and the low cut v-neck top revealed just enough cleavage. The July weather was warm and to sleep in anything more had proved a challenge during the night, she hadn't been expecting anyone over and hadn't felt the need to change.

Antonio sheepishly scratched the back of his neck, willing his eyes to remain Level with her and not to drop down to her bare legs. "I was wondering if we could- ya know, talk?"

"Now's not the best time and I don't think you should really be here Toni." Ana shook her head, "Bye." She closed the door in the detectives face without a second thought, satisfied that the door was fully locked, Ana spun on her heel and made her way back upstairs.

Then a voice from the other side of the door stopped her in her tracks. "I don't blame you, Annie. I don't blame you."

Ana could almost feel the cracking of his voice, it made her heart wrench. She fought every mental battle possible as she tried to force herself to continue walking up the stairs.

She didn't realise what she was doing until she opened the front door, revealing a very solemn detective on the other side. "Five minutes." She whispered. "Let me just get changed." She added, indicating her very limited attire.