Chapter 1

Hey guys! Long time, no see. I'm thinking about starting this new book. Give the first chapter a read and let me know what you think. I am also open to title suggestions. Thanks! 

"No, I can't do this anymore! I'm sorry, but I'm not the right one for you. It's not me," he said.

She had tears streaming down her face. She didn't know how to respond. She tried to say something to him but couldn't bring herself to speak. The next thing he knew, she ran down the street crying to herself.

I watched everything happen from my bedroom window. The boy was my older brother. The girl was his girlfriend, well ex-girlfriend now.

It's a shame their relationship ended that way. I really thought he had found his match. They seemed perfect together. I guess I must have missed something.

I watched my brother walk back into our house. I ran downstairs to meet him. He was sitting on the couch in the living room when I found him. He didn't look upset. In fact, he looked calm, almost as if nothing important happened not even five minutes before. I don't understand. I just watched him break up with her. Wasn't he a little bit sad?

I walked into the room and sat down next to him. "What's up, squirt?" he asked as he gave me one of his infamous bear hugs. I hugged him back but that didn't sway my confusion.

"Aren't you upset?" I asked, completely ignoring his question.

He let out a long sigh. "What have I told you about spying on Valerie and me?"

"I wasn't spying. I heard you yelling so I checked to see if you were okay."

"That's very nice of you to look out for me, but I can take care of myself. Valerie just wasn't the right girl for me. She wasn't my match."

"But you looked so happy with her. Your relationship was perfect."

He shook his head. "No it wasn't, squirt. Valerie was sure that I was her match. I tried to make it work, but I just made everything a lot worse. I did that to try to show you that everyone finds their match."

I gave him a small smile. "You didn't have to do that."

"Yes, I did. I didn't want you to be scared about the future when it's your turn to find your match."

"I won't be scared. I'll have my charm, remember?"

"I know you'll have your charm but sometimes the charm doesn't work. One out of every thousand charms is defective. If your charm is one of the few that doesn't work, I don't want you to give up. I want you to be happy with your life no matter who you end up with."

He smiled at me. I hugged him again but tighter this time. He was the best brother I could've asked for. I don't know what I'd do without him.

"I love you, Garrett."

"I love you too, squirt."

That was eight years ago. I was ten years old. Garrett put me to bed that night and left to hang out with one of his friends. My nanny, Carla, was at the house with me since our parents were on business in Chicago.

Garrett never came back that night. On his way home, a drunk driver swerved into him and crashed. Garrett was rushed to the hospital. The drunk man wasn't hurt. My nanny woke me up, and we drove to the hospital to see my brother. He was in critical condition.