BEFORE THE BITE

-------------------------

"Hey, it's okay." a very young Scott McCall said to his sister as he walked into her room, closing the door behind him. But even with the door closed, their parents screams could still be heard. Rafael was drunk. Again.

In the darkness of the room, with only a small nightlight to illuminate his steps Scott walked over to his sister and sat on the bed next to her, wrapping his arm around her. She leaned into his embrace, tears rolling down her face.

She was scared, and Scott knew it. He was scared himself, but he had to be strong for his sister. So every time his parents screaming woke him, he quickly made his way over to Sophia's room knowing she would have been waken too.

"Shhh." Scott said, trying to soothe her. "It's okay, Sophie. You don't have to be scared. I'm with you now."

The small girl looked down at the stuffed animal she held. Her dad bought it for her down at the hospitals gift shop the day she was born. She then looked up at her brother. "Will you always be with me?"

"Always." he replied. "I'll always protect you, no matter what."

The words Scott uttered gave the young girl much needed peace. She wiped away her tears and jumped off the bed, her legs still too short to reach the floor. She walked over to a pile of games she had in the corner of her room. "Want to play?" she asked Scott.

He smiled at her. "Sure."

The two children played as they waited for the yelling to stop. And it did. But by the time it was all over the two kids had fallen asleep on the floor, too tired to go back to their beds and too scared to be alone.

In the morning when Melissa went into Scott's room to check on him, she found his bed empty. She rushed over to Sophia's room where she found her two young children asleep on the floor. She quietly closed the door, and stood outside their room quietly sobbing to herself.

But that was the night, that was the night when Scott first promised his sister he would always protect her. No matter what the cost was. And it was a promise he intend to keep for as long as he lived.

-------------------------