One

HAILEY

That dress was just... weird. Well, maybe the dress itself wasn't weird, but it was definitely weird for me to be wearing a dress. I don't do the girly kinda style. But what am I supposed to do? Go to the wedding wearing skinny jeans and a band tee? That'd be totally awesome, I can only imagine Sophie's face. Unfortunately, I know I'm not gonna do that so I try my best to feel comfortable in the blue and tight dress.

"Hailey!"

I jump startled at the shout on my front door and roll my eyes when I realize is just Luke, again. The doorbell is broken, and of course people can still knock, but no. Luke has to scream for me, I don't think he's aware of how socially unacceptable this is. I take my stilletos off and walk barefoot on my small and dirty apartment till the front door.

"What is wrong with you?" I ask when I open the door, wishing now that I had kept my high heels on. Luke is way too tall and I have to bend my neck way too much everytime I want to talk to him. It's probably a really pathetic scene.

He ignores my question, staring at me from head to toes with the cockiest smile ever.

"Nice dress"

Luke passes by me and enters the place, throwing himself on my couch. He almost seems like a serious boy, with the white buttom up shirt and the black blazer. But it's Luke I'm talking about and he doesn't let people think he's a serious boy. The ripped black skinny jeans and the old vans make it pretty clear he doesn't care about dressing appropiately for the wedding.

"Nice jeans" I sit next to him, placing my feet above the center table.

"Thanks" Luke puts his feet on the table as well, moving them one side to another, hitting mine slightly "What do you think we don't go to this wedding? It's going to be fucked up anyway".

He's probably right. Sophie is the one getting married... and she's twenty. Though everybody keeps telling her she'll regret it, she doesn't seem to listen.

"I know, but we can't miss her wedding Luke. She's been our friend for what? Six years?"

He nods "Yeah, but she's so young!" He throws his head back in frustration "Why does she wants to get married?"

"How am I supposed to know? I'm her friend, that doesn't mean I understand her"

"We could just go to some club and get wasted, it'd be much better"

I sigh "Listen, I know you're upset. But you had your chance to get her and you didn't take it. Move on Luke, you can get yourself someone better anyway"

Luke was always closer to Sophie than I was, though neither of us was really close to her, and I know he's upset about her getting married beause he's been crushing on her for a couple of years, but this is starting to be stressfull even for me now. She's not an amazing person, she's just an ordinary girl. Nothing about her stands out, and I honestly don't know what he sees on her.

The problem is that, even thogh he knows there's no chance he'll be with her, he pushes away every girl that tries to know him better and that could turn out to be a great girlfriend. He doesn't give anyone a chance to get near him. Well, only if it's just for one night, then it's fine.

"I'm not upset Hailey"

I roll my eyes, he never admits anything, not when is related to his feelings "Yeah, sure. I can see the joy in your eyes" I mock, getting up and heading back to my bedroom "We have to get going, the church is across the city"

"Great! Sorry to tell you, but I have no money to pay a cab to take us to the rich side of Sydney"

"That's okay, I have some... Wait, Luke the month just begun. What did you do with the money you earn from working at the pub?"