Chapter One

The smell of blood was strong, nauseating, the only thing you could do was keep fighting.

This was war.

Straw hat Luffy, captain of the Straw Hat pirates, learned this first hand. As he fought, with every intention of saving his brother, Fire Fist Ace.

He finally got to the platform, he saved Ace. But his stupid brother had to fight the damn bastard Akainu, who got on his nerves. Yeah sure, he would do the same if the person he looked up too was insulted. But at least he would be able to refrain from attacking, so he could beat the damn bastard another day.

But Ace had to engage him, while he couldn't do anything to stop him. His body was barely keeping up as it was, he knew he couldn't last much longer.

Then, it happened.

He couldn't change it, he would gladly be the one receiving the punch. But his brother, who he loved and cherished so drearily, intercepted it. He used himself as a shield, so he could live.

He watched helplessly, unable to do anything. The smell of blood and burnt flesh was strong. Akainu, fist still within his brother's chest.

Luffy wanted to scream, but his voice never came.

As the admiral pulled his fist out, he said some words. Not that Luffy cared to hear, and he was about to go for the finishing blow when someone intercepted it.

He wasn't paying attention, he couldn't. Ace couldn't die!

Thank You For Loving Me!

Those words struck Luffy hard, he then knew that Ace was going to die.

He died to smile...

He couldn't take it, he screamed and cried. Not bothering to hide it, no, he let them fall. He kept screaming. Until everything went blank.

Later, when he woke up, he searched frantically for his brother. Refusing to believe that he died.

Until Jimbe pulled him out of his denial. He lauded down hard, which he knew now, that it was what he needed.

And he reminded him that he wasn't alone.

That he still had his crew.

Zoro, Nami, Ussop, Sanji, Chopper, Robin, Franky, Brooke.

He still had them.

He swore he would become stronger, that he would be stronger so he could protect his Nakama. And he did, he got stronger, and so did his crew.

However, no matter how hard he tried, he couldn't get rid of the pain. No, it still stayed even after those years. He missed Ace. And the nightmares never truly went away, they just happened less frequent.

Then he came into their lives. His name being Quo, eventually, he joined the crew. He noticed Luffy's pain and tried to help him. He let Luffy use him as an outlet for his pain. And it helped to have someone to talk to, but the pain was still there. He felt hollow, but not always, his crew had their special ways of filling that space.

But it always came back.

One day, Quo had requested a talk with him.

"Oi, Luffy. I need to talk to you about something."

"Hmm? What is it?" He replied, a grin plastered on his face.

"Alone." He urged.

"Okay!" He happily jumped up and went to a secluded place.