Chapter 2: Guy One

Stuffing the last pair of sandals in my suitcase, I announce to mom that I'm done packing.

"Get to bed now. Big day tomorrow."

"Mom, its 7:00. You can't be serious."

"Alright, fine. But don't be grouchy for tomorrows plane trip."

"I'm not five anymore, mom." I say more to myself than to her. I turn on the T.V. and doze off thinking about tomorrow.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Wake up, you'll be late!" My eyes flick open when mom yells in my ear. I sit up and rub my eyes. I spent the whole night on the couch, boy did my back hurt.

    I hop in the shower and do my regular morning routine, then its time to go. Mom is giving me a ride to the airport, but I'm flying alone.

    Mom's red convertible pulls in the parking lot of the airport. "Here's your ticket. Call me every night and please be safe." Mom says, she looks like she is crying.

"Mom, I won't call you every night. I'll call you every morning, afternoon, and night." She smiles and gives me a giant hug.

"I love you so much."

"I love you, too, Mom." I climb out of the car and shut the door.

"Don't forget all the rules!"

"Mom, I have a color coded list of rules with me. How can I forget?"

"I love you!" She waves as I approach the airport.

"I love you, too." I turn around and blow a kiss before I enter the airport.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    They aren't kidding when they say its a pain in the rear end to go through airport security. I had a box of Altoids in my back pocket that made the system go crazy. It took about a half hour for me to realize it.

    When I'm actually on the plane, I realize I have someone to sit with. Great. A complete stranger that I'm stuck with for 3 hours. Just great.

    I find my seat and sit down. I look to my left and see the most gorgeous boy ever staring and smiling right at me.

"Hi, I'm Chase." He sticks his hand out for me to shake.

"My Lilly is name hi." I knew I'd screw this up! This boy is just too cute! I can't handle it!

"Uhhh. what?" 

"Sorry...I mean Hi, my name is Lilly."

"Cool." He smiles.

"So, you headed to California?" Wow, Lilly! He's on a plane going to California! What a stupid question.

"Haha, yup. I'm spending the summer with my uncle. He has a beach house."

"Cool. I'm staying with my cousin. She has a beach house, too."

"Awesome! Maybe we live close to each other."

"That'd be fun."

"It sure would."

   Uh oh. I'm out of things to say.

"I'm gonna nap now."

"At 10 in the morning?"

"I hardly slept last night. My cat was snoring and kept me up." Now I sound like a ninety year old lonely cat lady.

"Ha ha ha. You pretty funny."

"I know. I mean.... thank you." Before I can say anything else stupid, I close my eyes and pretend to be asleep.