Chapter 8

REWRITTEN

CLOVER

Time ceased as Logan gradually kissed me. His lips carried with mine. Faint and real.

This wasn't a passionate or a wild kiss. It was the gentlest kiss I'd ever experienced. He kissed me in a way he was afraid I would break; a shard of glass that would break if he dropped me.

My next actions came unexpected to myself as I stepped closer, kissing him back.

Something changed with the rapid move. Arms came around me and pulled forward until we were in each other. Until we belonged to each other. The feel of being engulfed in his hold, his front pressed to mine, it had butterflies erupting in my stomach.

My hands instinctively hooked themselves to his neck, deepening the kiss. Impossible to get enough of him.

The kiss was forever. We lasted forever, and it had to stay that way.

"Clover?"

Jane!

Out of instinct, I pushed Logan away. And then there was Jane, at the threshold of the door, eyeing our encounter.

Talk about awkward.

I cleared my throat, ignoring the hot flashes. "Hey, Jane."

"Get inside, Clover. Right now."

In chagrin, I avoided his gaze with a murmur, "I'll see you, Logan."

Jane slammed the door shut behind us and we heard him venture away. "Have you lost your mind?"

"No. We just went out."

"Just went out? That's not what it looked like. I told you not to go out with him and you did it anyway. What were you thinking?"

"It's not a big deal. I like him." Very.

"Cover, I don't know what is going on with you, but you can't do this. You do know what this guy could be like –"

"Stop, I don't want to hear this. You know I hate talking about him. Logan is different, I know he is."

Talking about him made me break out in cold sweat. But Logan, he brought rainbows with him.

Jane grasped hold of me after I took a step away. "I am not done talking to you. I am the owner of this household now, so you need to listen to me. Your parents put me in charge, and I am going to do what they would have wanted. And if this means not letting you see a possibly dangerous guy then so be it. Don't let yourself get sucked into a relationship that is going to destroy you once again."

If my parents were here, this situation wouldn't matter. Nothing would matter.

"Let go. I don't want to hear this."

"Jesus! Clover, do you want to get hurt? You're not preventing it by going out with random men. Do you want to confirm the rumours? I am sorry, but right now you are confirming them."

Her words burned me all the way to my toes. "Oh, so I'm the whore of the town, huh? Is that what you're saying? That I asked for it? Wow. Great parenting, Jane, taking a page out of your sister's book."

She frowned, her hold loosening. "What are you talking about?"

"It really doesn't matter. I don't need a goddamn parent, so leave me alone."

In my bedroom, I slammed the door shut, leaning against it. Anger boiled at her sudden care and worry. She was kind and unbiased, but with everything that'd happened, those qualities got crossed off the list. She thought of me like everyone else. Stupid of me to hope that she'd be any different.