The Second of the Month

AN: If you some how stumbled upon this story from the vast sections where the nobody stories get put please stay with it. I know the first chapter kind of sucks but I have so much planned for this and would love for you to join the story. I'm not the best author but I'm always looking to improve. If you have suggestions or questions don't hesitate to tell me. And just assume I don't own any of the pictures ;). Wow, I just started rambling there! Ok then without further ado, I present "The Feared".

The wind grabbed at my hair playfully as I reached for the chicken feed. I huffed out a sigh as the weight dropped on my shoulders. I really needed to get out of here. The ranch always felt wrong to me. My family always called it home but for me home was somewhere else. Home was a place full of adventure not chicken poop. But these times were dangerous and the only people who seemed to get out of this hellhole were known criminals. Boys who were reduced to terrorizing the town to get by, also known as the Feared. I had known these boys all my life. Hell, Kirk was my best friend for years. That all changed three years ago. Thoughts of the Feared brought up a horrifying revelation. Crap it is the second of the month!

Today was the day the I would see them all again. But this time they wouldn't laugh and tell jokes. No they would threaten and steal what little this town did have. And that's the reason I would probably never leave: I was no criminal.

As soon as I heard the gunshots, I knew that this time they didn't just want food. I dropped the bag of chicken feed and ran out the gate that held in the home that I never belonged in. The town square was a round paved spot where there were no buildings. Several rows of flower pots were lined up from the last contest. Oh and there were four leather clad boys shooting their guns in the air.

I recognized Kirk instantly but decided against approaching him. I instead observed the situation as best as I could.

"Ok folks! We are going to be needing a large supply of food this month so I suggest you bring out all of it," Alex addressed the crowd that was forming. I felt my blood begin to boil at the thought of four men taking the food of an entire town. But now was not the time to stand up, everyone I love could die. Still I had to come up with something, without this month's supply of food a lot of good people could die. So I did what anyone would do and formed a food rescue mission.

I played my part well, I acted scared as I brought the food to them and even wiped away a few tears. Idiots, if they remembered anything about me they would know this was an act.

"Oh is little Anna scared of the big men? Well dear, you'll find that some of us have done quite a bit of growing up." Will said throwing me a wink at the end. Is he seriously flirting with me as he's stealing all of our food. What the actual hell is wrong with him? Keep it up Anna, don't draw suspicion.

"I.. I.. I'm nnnot scared." I whimpered and hating myself for being such a damn good actor.

He laughed loudly and I tried not to punch him in his stupid face. Kirk looked at me suspiciously for a moment before shooing me away. He knew I was acting, I just hoped he didn't know why. I sighed thinking about when we used to be inseparable, but he had chosen something else. Something that gave him the power to leave and forget me. Oh well, by the end of today, Kirk will remember why I was called the town's little hell raiser.

...

Like normal the boys camped out just outside of town that night. I was never sure why they didn't just leave, I guess they wanted to spend as much time as possible giving the Goldpeak hell. Hopefully they also stole from Pap. If they took as much liquor as they took food that this will be like taking candy from a drunk baby. I thought as I slowly crept out of our little ranch house (it was more of a shack).

Following the path of dumbass sounds, I soon was outside where the Feared were camping. Loud snores could be heard from where I stood. Fear prickled my heart as I neared the wagon with the food. My heartbeat raced through my chest, I was sure that it would wake the boys up.

So, I did the only thing that calms me down, holding my necklace tight. It was the only piece of jewelry I owned and was also the only thing I had left of my brother. As I felt the familiar weight I relaxed some and tiptoed to the wagon.

Years of caring bales of hay and various other feed made my body compact and strong, but that freaking wagon was still stupid hard to push. Just pushing it was hard, now add the fact that I had to be silent as to not die.

My muscles strained as I pushed the wagon towards town. My feet slipped on the sand that coated everything in Goldpeak. To this day I don't know how long it took me to get back to town I get remember getting home and realizing that my precious necklace was gone.