Chapter 3

After his little showdown with Commander McGarrett, Danny returned home to the bedsit he had bought when his ex-wife relocated to the Island 7 months ago with Duncan, her husband.

He had finally found the fan that he had brought, going to turn it on when his door opened.

"Where's your side arm?" Danny chuckled at his own joke. Noting the unamused expression on the taller man's face, he sighed. "Never-nevermind."

Clearly not impressed, Steve continued. "I swung by your precinct, spoke to your captain. He said you requested a wire be put on someone named Fred Doran. Tell me about it."

"Come in." Danny muttered, sarcastically, closing the door behind the tall man who was looking around the apartment.

"This your kid?"

"Stunning Detective work." Danny sang.

Ignoring the sarcasm that Danny Williams seemed to be radiating, Steve got straight down to business. "What do you know about Doran?"

"He's a suspected arms dealer. Two years Maui Correctional for weapons possession. He's currently a person of interest in an unrelated homicide. The weapon was never found." Danny reeled off nonchalantly, his years of working different crimes making the spiel seem so effortless.

Steve listened intently much to Danny's surprise. Taking in the information it took him a prolonged few minutes for him to speak. "But what does this have to do with my father and his murder?"

"This is no longer my case." Danny reminded, his forehead creasing, he had been confused why the McGarrett had been there. "Why are you here?"

"Your fresh, you transferred here six months ago to be close to your daughter." Steve started, his eyes moving to the ring-less finger, he continued "No ring. So between fighting for your daughter's visits you only have your job. Am I close?"

Danny inwardly groaned, so what? He made a connection. He wasn't any Sherlock. "So what do you want?"

"Governor gave me jurisdiction-- I'm making you my partner." The Commander finished with a grin.

"Fantastic." The hoale muttered. "That's not happening." He shook his head, he had spent barely twenty minutes with the McGarrett, he didn't think he could handle much more.

"You've got no choice, Detective."

Taking a few moments to consider what Steve had just landed on his lap. He cupped an elbow whilst his free arm, moved in exasperation. "What about Andersson?"

"She's my second in command." Steve smirked, almost in victory.

"And does she know this? Have you given her a choice?" Danny swung his arms begrudgingly. He knew from his meeting with Quinn the other day that she worked with SWAT, commanding her own team. Would she have dropped everything to work for Steve?

*****

"We've got to make a stop on the way." Steve said, nonchalantly as they jumped into the car, much to Danny's duress.

Danny Williams rolled his eyes and waited for the Commander to give him directions. They soon arrived in a quaint village, located opposite Hawaii's famous stretch of Diamond Head Beach.

"Just here." Steve spoke up, indicating the driveway to a two-floor building that had a native, yet modern twist to it.

It was then that the Detective instantly recognised the Red Mustang, it had been parked next to a Silver truck, not one he had been familiar with. Parking up, the two jumped from the Camaro with Steve leading the pair up the gravelled drive.