Chapter 21

Chapter 21

I could see the morning light creeping in and ruining my perfect slumber. I squeezed my eyes shut trying to cling onto my peaceful sleep and the memories of last night for just a little bit longer. Images flashed in my mind of Triton's kisses, his touches and him whispering my name over and over again as if it were a prayer. I still could barely believe that last night had happened. What would happen this morning? The thought burst my glowing post sex happiness. What if we'd completely screwed up our friendship by sleeping together. Although we both confirmed multiple times that it was what we wanted, we had both been drinking, a lot. What if Triton changed his mind about me being more than a friend. This was Triton I was talking about. I don't think he'd jump into something like that with me without being sure. This was Triton. This was my best friend.

"Good morning" I mumbled and rolled over, expecting to run into Triton. But, to my surprise, I was met with an empty bed. My eyes snapped open to reveal my worst fear; the bed was empty.

"Calm down Jupiter, he's probably just making breakfast or in the bathroom or something" I muttered to myself as I listened for the sounds of someone in the bathroom. After hearing silence I climbed out of bed and picked up my discarded clothes from the floor. I threw on a robe and ventured into the kitchen, hoping to see Triton at the stove cooking eggs like he did most mornings.

"Good morning sunshine!" Atlas greeted as soon as I stepped into the room.

"Hey" I smiled and walked over to the kitchen island.

"Do you want breakfast? I'm making pancakes."

"Yea, pancakes sound great" I said and slid into one of the seats.

"They're about the only thing I can make pretty decently" Atlas laughed and turned back to the stove.

"Not much of a cook?"

"No, we eat out a lot around here, Triton can cook but doesn't particularly like to, I can't cook and don't really like to light the building on fire."

"I can't cook very well either so I guess that's not going to change any time soon" I laughed.

"Damn it and here I was hoping for something more than just a drinking buddy" Atlas teased.

"So how'd your night go?" I questioned, trying to gauge if Triton had told him anything.

"Pretty good, just got back forty five minutes ago, took a shower, then started making food" he shrugged.

"Oh yea, new girl or an old one?"

"New. Probably won't see her again though, her voice annoyed me. Apparently it didn't bother drunk me, but to sober me this morning it was listening to cats shriek constantly."

"Eh they can't all be winners" I shrugged as Atlas plopped a pancake on my plate.

"Well try it I'm curious to see if your like it" he prompted. I rolled my eyes at him as I took a huge bite of the pancake in front of me.

"It's good!" I said with my mouth still half full of pancake.

"Yes! Score one for me!" Atlas celebrated.

"Are you eating or are you just feeding me?" I questioned.

"I'm gunna make a few more, that way if Triton comes back he can eat if he wants to."

"Triton? He's not here?" I played dumb.

"No, I saw him on my way in. He looked super worried and he was rushing out of the building faster than I've ever seen. I don't think I'd seen him that weirded out in ages."