Chapter 7

It was night time when dad picked us up when we were finished shopping. I usually hate shopping but this one was different. Instead of sulking or waiting on a bench for my mum to finish, I used my bones and muscles to roam around with Ersatz. It was like shopping with a friend but I don't know, I don't have anyone to shop with.

"Hey, you," I looked at the chestnut haired girl on my left. "What?" I asked. She just beamed at me. "What?" I asked again. "Nothing. I just wanted to say thank you since this is my first time and you're welcome because this is the first time you actually enjoyed shopping," she snickered. 

"How'd you know? You were created yesterday?" I chortled. "Same brain, duh?" she replied. I just ignored her. I think I'm growing attached to her but I know some time she'll leave.

When we got back to the house, she was like a child. She ran to the front porch and shouted that she had clothes of her own. Chafed, I got out the car and shouted at her to be quiet. "Sorry!" she clamoured back. 

"So, do you like her?" Dad placed his hand on my shoulder. "Well, she peeves me with her naïvety but I can't blame her for being born yesterday. She seems," I paused for a moment. I really don't know what to describe her. "Whimsical? Kooky? Actually, she's exuberant. No doubt. I still don't like her but she's fine," I tell him as I see Ersatz practically flying around the house, gratified about her new stuff. I swear she is like a child.

I entered the house and went straight in my room. I guess they did some rearranging because there were two beds now. I never knew my room was massive enough for two beds. Mum went inside and told me that the remaining nights, Ersatz will be staying in my room but back in California, she'll be having her own. I guess I can withstand her for two more weeks. 

Ersatz entered the room and looked at me. "Is it okay to stay here?" Her pleading blue eyes looked at me. She knew that I didn't want her here but I had no choice. "Yeah, sure. Go ahead and leave your things here," I tried to force a smile. "Don't smile," she said while smiling, "I know you still hate me but that's fine. Sisters don't always get along." I looked at her, completely muddled with what she said. 

"I'm sorry, did you say sister?" I scoffed at her. "I am not and will not be your sister. You are just a clone of me. Do whatever purpose you are suppose to be doing but don't ever think that you're my sister because you're just some generic knock-off of me," I disclosed. She was in the verge of tears. "I'm just going to sleep on the couch. Thanks for your honest opinion about me," she said and walked out the door.

Something inside of me stirred. It was like something sparked. I felt sorry for what I said to her. I know this day I was resenting her but maybe I should give her a chance. She didn't lock me in a room and forced me to do whatever kind of exercises I went through. It was never her fault she was a clone. I went down and saw her wrapped in a blanket, holding a box of cereal and watching television. "Hey, I'm sorry for what I said earlier. Yeah, no, you're my sister and we share the same everything. I don't really know that much on how to apologize because you know, anti-social and didn't really had siblings and friends growing up and-" I was rambling before she cut me off, "It's fine." We just sat there, the only noise was coming from the tv. 

"Want some?" She asked, pointing the opening of the cereal box at me. I grab a handful and shove it in my mouth. "Thanks," I smiled. She beamed back. "I'm glad you're my sister," she told me. "I'm glad, too," I said. She side hugged me and shared the blanket while watching a movie.

This was the first time in years that I stayed up late, laughing and eating from a cereal box. She was happy and I think I am genuinely happy for once. Maybe this sister thing won't be bad after all.