What It Could've Been (The Fault In Our Stars Fan Fic)

Soo just like my other fan fic one shot thingy that i poste, me and my friend are OBSESSED with fandoms and were both writers. So my amazingly talented friend Angeline wrote this TFIOS short fan fic abt how the story should have ended. P.S if you didnt read the original book you probably wont get this or it might spoil the ending for you 

Gus's POV

The worst thing about cancer is not the disease itself, but it's the look of sympathy etched on everyone's faces wherever you go. I mean, sure, the constant threat of dying is still there, but it's better than being pitied. Hazel Grace Lancaster would take death over pity any day. One day, she did.

It was peaceful. Everyone in the room was smiling at her, though they all teared up a little bit. I knew that everyone tried to keep their sobs inside for her. I was sitting beside her bed, staring at her. The room was silent, and the only sound heard was her heart monitor beeping at a slow and steady pace. Occasionally, someone would stifle a sob, but no one turned to look at who it was, everyone's eyes were on her and I. I don't want to get into the details of when she died, but this was how our last conversation went. 

Her: "Gus, I love you."

Me: "Hazel, know that I will always, forever, eternally, love you back, okay?"

Her (after a little chuckle): "Okay."

During the next few weeks, everyone was mourning over her death, crying uncontrollably and hugging each other a lot. In front of her family and friends, I only shed a few tears and that was it. They advised me not to do anything stupid, and I assumed that they were talking about suicide. I even heard a few mumbles questioning if I even loved her at all, to which, I ignored. They asked me how I remained so strong, but I just shrugged it off. I wasn't strong. The only reason I didn't sob in front of them was because I didn't want to seem weak and broken down. Like Hazel, I didn't like the look of sympathy.

But I miss her. I miss her so much. I would stay up countless nights in the dark, sobbing into my pillow. I feel so alone, and of course, I have family and a few other friends, but I kept everything I felt to myself.

One day, I was sitting on a park bench, gazing in front of me at the grass and trees and families having picnics together. I dug into my pockets to take out my phone when my fingers touched something... Something so unfamiliar yet familiar at the same time. A cigarette and a lighter. I pulled both of the items out and looked at the cigarette, a small grin appearing on my face. As usual, I put it in between my mouth. Then, I glanced down at the lighter resting in my palm. My grin faded away when I thought of the metaphor again. I thought of Hazel as well, flashbacks to when we were in Amsterdam, flashbacks I didn't want to have, at least not at the moment. Slowly, I raised the lighter up to my cigarette and lit it. I wasn't, I'm not, and I never will be 'okay'.