The Lost Bride

It was a dark eerie night. The storm was heading towards him, the lights in his cottage kept on going on and off. The wind was playing with the power again.  He did not know what to do because they had a fight and she stormed out an hour before. Being who he was, a man full of pride, he decided not to go after her because he believed she would return, after all she always did. They had had fights like these but not under these conditions. His heart started beating extremely fast as beads of sweat started forming on his forehead. He knew she was light and weak, he did not know if she could survive the wind. All he wanted to do was go out and search for his beautiful bride but he did not know how to begin. The night was too dark for anything to be seen and he knew he would find it tedious to get back to the cottage after he left, for it was so dark no man could view anything in the vicinity. The young man decided he would go and look for her, withstanding the circumstances. He got up  rapidly and grabbed his coat then took the lantern that she had placed on the mantelpiece the night before. He went out to the shed and grabbed a bucket of white paint. The wind kept on blowing vigorously he could hardly see a thing. He started dropping coats of paint at places he walked past so he could find his way back home. He walked through the silent night. He fought to continue standing. He searched and tried to ask but there was nobody outside. Most of the villagers were locked in their homes for safety. After 5 long hours of searching he started to lose hope. He did not know what to do and started regretting what he had said to her. He never knew she was that hot tempered. “Bloody woman! She wants to kill herself or me, sometimes I find it hard to understand”.  He began to shake with fear. He was exasperated. He thought he had lost her and the child which she carried. He started having flashbacks about her smile, her smooth velvety skin, the day the met, the food she cooked, the way she turned when she was furious. She had saved him from a life he would have regretted. She took him out of his lonely misery. She showed him the way when the world failed to. And today, he had been stupid enough to let her go. She was gone for good this time, he was sure. She had finally gotten enough of the baseless fights and arguments they kept on having over the years. Finally he got tired and sat down on a piece of rock and started crying and screaming. “Ma Cherie s’il vous plait, retourner, retourner, retourner!!!. I love you please come back my dear. My life would be useless without you. I do not know what I would do. Please ma belle. Please return.” He cried in desperation and rage. His eyeballs shot out and his heart beat louder with great thuds. Then he decided he would walk back home and maybe she would return. He went back in but the house was still silent. The only sound he could hear was still the wind and the lights had gone off completely this time. He sat quietly in his arm chair and began to think then he felt some fingers go round his neck and hair dropped slowly to his chin. He smelt her- so warm and fruity. He knew it was her. With his eyes closed still he stretched his arms and pulled her slowly into his laps. He held on to her tightly and he whispered “never let me go baby, I’m sorry”. She wiped his tears away but he still did not open his eyes. She pecked him on his forehead and he opened his eyes. She was gone. She had always been. She had died years ago in an accident and the baby in her too was gone. He had blamed himself for making her angry that fateful night. He had always gone out to search for her. Hoping and reaming she would return but he never did. Slowly, he slipped and fell off the chair. All he could hear was her voice as he slowly and finally left the world.