prolougue

PROLOGUE.
FIRST VICTIM.

kitty's been acting weird.

the boy leans in to inspect the feline's wellbeing, checking to see if he could spot anything wrong he missed the past few days of observing. there's been a few physical changes—such as bald spots that seem to be spreading rapidly, eyes starting to shift into a red shade, and the sudden weight loss that occured in a short period of time. it baffled him—confused him. but, there was something more . . . peculiar that's been happening besides the physical aspects. she's been acting a bit . . . weird. her actions start to get repetitive—as if it's an obsession. her appetite's becoming stranger, and her choice of food's starting to become uncanny, as well, but—

the doorbell rings, and the boy stumbles backwards in surprise. a second of silence and he sighs in relief, staring at the door for a split second before focusing his attention back on his cat. he pets her gently, thin fur rubbing against his palm. "i'll be back."

the feline transfers his gaze to her owner, her eyes weak and bleary. she meows softly before slowly jumping out her personal bed. her pace is unhurried, and her sense of mind is a bit of a blur.

she sees a mouse.

it's sudden—so quick that she could hardly realize what has happened. a surge of hunger overtakes her and she runs to chase after it, her pace starting to get faster and faster every second. her pupils are dilated, and her sense of mind is starting to turn into a mush of nothing but blur. she catches the mouse with her paws, a wave of satisfaction washes over her—a feeling that came out of thin air.

and then she feeds.

when she sees her owner come back, a thin box in his hands, she stops. curiosity takes over her and she starts to walk back to where she came from, paying no more mind to the animal she had fed on. normality seems to have rushed back to her head once again, and she sees her owner put down the box on the table. he doesn't acknowledge her, considering by how occupied he is with the phone he has in his hand. he opens the carton before walking away, and kitty goes on the table to see what the thin box contained.

she cocks to her head to the side, studying the carton in front of her.

pizza.

kitty inches closer and takes a sniff.

and then she licks a slice.

upon hearing the footsteps coming, kitty jumps off the table and hurriedly rushes back to her bed, getting into a rather comfortable position. the boy looks up from his phone and at the feline, and a small smile could be seen growing on his face.

and then he takes a slice.

the same slice she licked.

he takes a bite, his eyes fixed on his phone screen. nothing happens at first, but then he starts to notice the tingling sensations all over his body. his face contorts and he drops the slice on the floor, rushing towards his kitchen sink almost immediately. he vomits the fare out of his mouth instantaneously—coughing and coughing until every last piece is removed from his system.

blood.

all he sees is blood.

and then he collapses to the floor, shaking horrendously with eyes that seem to roll to the back of his head.

and then he feels it.

the urge to feed on human flesh.

— jan