Chapter 7: Breaking the Code of Conduct

The girl, revealing her name as Ellie Saint Peters, quickly made herself acquainted with the other appliances. Even though she was a human, and the descendant of Elmo Saint Peters himself, the other appliances started to warm up to her. She seemed legit.

However, Phil didn't want anything to do with Ellie. He was still unnerved knowing thishuman was related to the man responsible for the dishonest, appalling acts thirty years earlier. Instead of getting to know her, Phil remained at the top of the ceiling, hoping the others would shoo her away as soon as possible.

"I've never been hugged by a human before." Poppi squeaked happily.

"And I've never hugged a popper before." Ellie replied in a bewildered manner. It's not everyday someone sees a human hugging an electrical appliance! "Why were you acting so scared of me?"

The others looked down at the floor. They didn't want to tell Ellie her father was a monster. Even Cassettro was quiet. It wouldn't be right to say something so mean.

Seeing Phil hiding on the ceiling and the appliances sad faces, Ellie immediately figured out what they were thinking. She knew her father used to sell parts at this shop, but something was fishy. There were all these tools for taking things apart and the appliances were petrified of humans... They must have been the victims of her father, but he didn't know they were alive! If they would have said something in the past, her dad would never take them apart. He wouldn't harm a fly! These appliances must have been so traumatized by everything that they were the ones scaring humans away. But she couldn't tell anyone the appliances were alive. They would think she's crazy! Plus, it wouldn't be fair to rat on them...

"Okay, I know what you guys are thinking. Don't worry, I'm not going to tell anyone you are the 'ghosts' everyone is talking about. I understand why you are doing it though! I mean, if I was one of you, I'd do the same thing!" She looked at the screwdriver in her hand. "It must have been so scary when this place was open... I'm so sorry about my Dad. He really is a nice guy."

"It isn't your fault," said Sketch. "Mr. Saint Peters didn't know we were alive."

"Then why didn't one of you speak up?" Ellie questioned.

Phil started eavesdropping from the ceiling. His guilt hit him like a ton of bricks again.

"It's against our conduct," Fannie told Ellie. "Never speak to humans. If we did, then they would put us in zoos or keep us as pets!"

"Or worse," Rover added. "They'd make a filmor story with all of us."

"That makes sense." Ellie replied. "But I don't know why someone would want a pet lamp..."

Wattson and the others laughed at this.

Phil was hoping they would send Ellie back out the door, pronto. They didn't need a human bothering them again.

"What about me?" Mish-Mash chuckled as she hopped near Ellie. "What kind of human uses a lamp while opening a can of soup and shaves at the same time?"

"I'm not sure." Ellie placed Poppi on the floor and held Mish-Mash in her hands. "How did you end up as a Mish-Mash?"

"Your father got bored occasionally." Mish-Mash sighed.

"Well, I think you're pretty cool looking!"

Mish-Mash was touched hearing this. Someone actually found her nice looking!

"Maybe instead of a shaver, it could be an automatic potato peeler? That would be very helpful!" Ellie said.

"Don't you need to be somewhere?" Phil muttered in a low, impatient tone from the ceiling. He was fed up with Ellie already.

Ellie looked at her watch. "Oh! Look at that! I need to get back home. Its been nice meeting all of you."

"You're leaving?" Potter said in a sad tone.

"Sorry everyone. I'll be back tomorrow!"

"Wonderful." Phil muttered sarcastically.

"You promise?" Poppi squeaked.

"Yup! My dad is turning over the shop to me." Ellie hastily clarified what she just said. "Oh! Don't worry. I'm going to make this a repair shop. Nobody is going to get taken apart anymore and none of you will be sold. You will all be safe with me."

The appliances cheered excited. Phil remained quiet on the ceiling. He was not happy at all.

"Okay everyone, goodbye."

The appliances waved to Ellie as she left. They finally had somebody to love them.

Little did they know, Ellie had gone through the trash can when no one was looking and took someone in her bag...