The Bet (1) - failed

Back at the car, I told Emilie everything that happened in those few minutes she was away. I knew she was worried about me. But I just couldn't let them win. They chose the wrong girl to be victim this time. But my plan hadn't really worked out like I wanted to. Emilie had warned me that it wouldn't change a thing and she was right. But I won’t give up just because my first plan failed.

Now I’m hungry, so first we are going to McDonald’s. I parked in the parking lot and then I saw them again. Why were they everywhere I go? I looked to Emilie and she already knew what I was going to say: Lets go somewhere else. I don't want to talk to them again. My new plan is to ignore them and that is only going to work if I don't see them. As I drove out of the parking lot, they saw me. Shit! I drove as fast as I could so they couldn't follow me. I knew the game was one.

After driving over 30 minutes we came to another restaurant. We pulled into the parking lot and there they were again. Now it was getting creepy. How could they know we would be here? I was too hungry to run so I opened my car door and stepped out.

“Are you sure that you want to do this?” Emilie asked worriedly. “We can drive somewhere else if you want?”

“No, I’m too hungry to drive,” I replied firmly.

We walked past them and found a table. When we sat down, the boys were walking towards us. I didn't know what they were going to say, but I don’t want them to sit with us. Of course I was unlucky again. They said to the waiter that they were friends of ours and asked if they could sit with us. Tables were pushed together and now they were sitting next to over across from me. I looked at them all.

“What do you want?” I asked. I was really getting frustrated.

“Well, we want to win the bet,” Jazz replied calmly. “If you don't talk with us we’ll just have to talk to you. So you can choose: you can keep on ignoring us. Which won’t work by the way. Or you can talk with us and get this bet over and done with.”

I knew they were right. Ignoring them wasn't really working out for me. But I couldn't talk with them either. So I just kept silent and ordered my food. When I was done eating, they were all staring at me. Like they were trying to figure out when I was going to snap. I breathed loudly.

“You guys are jerks and if you don't leave this restaurant in 5 minutes I will make a scene and say that you threatened me. And who will they believe?” I snapped.

“This isn't over yet,” Jazz replied coolly. “We will see you in school. Good luck with keeping this up.”

I sighed. Finally they are gone. I knew I would need to face them again tomorrow, but for today I’m safe. I looked at Emilie who was giving me her worried look.

“ Lexi, I know you're strong but you can't ignore them forever. You need to get a better plan,” Emilie said. “I know that you kind of like Jamez. You’ve liked him since you were in elementary school with him.”

I knew she was right, but Jamez was a jerk and I wouldn't let my feelings overtake me. They aren't going to win this stupid bet. And maybe if I win, this stupid game will finally end. I paid the check and stood up. We were finally going home, it had been a long day... even it was only 2:30. Something inside of me was telling me that this day wasn't over yet.

When I came home I let myself fall onto my bed and start to cry. I just needed to let it all out. How was I going to survive this? After a few minutes I calmed down. I needed a shower. That would help. I always took showers when things go wrong and now I really do need one. After an hour I came out the shower and the doorbell rings. I knew Emilie already left to go visit her grands. Who could it be? I wrapped a towel around my body and run toward the door, when I open it, I know this was not good. I saw Jamez standing there. All alone, not with the other boys. And the only thing I was wearing was a towel. He stood there laughing at me in my towel before handing me a rose he was carrying. He then abruptly turned around and got in his car. “See you at school Lexi!” he called back to me sweetly.

This was just a move to win the bet. I knew it. But still, getting a rose from someone you like feels amazing. I shook that feeling away. He’s a jerk he only wants to win this bet. I throw the rose in the trashcan and run to my room. Tomorrow would be another day. How am I going to survive that? As soon as I got dressed, the doorbell rings again. I get to the door and open it again but now I have a glass of water in my hand. When I open the door I see Jamez again but before he could say something I throw the water on him and slam the door close. He will be pissed tomorrow. I put the glass back in the kitchen and ignore the bell. When the bell finally stops, I sigh. Now I can sleep. I got into my bed and fall sound asleep.

Tomorrow will be another day of hell.