Modesty

Way back when the world was yet advancing economically and technologically, whether people belong to the upper or lower class in the society, there is something they share in common and that is modesty. Modesty according to Merriam Dictionary is reserve or decency in speech, dress or behavior. The modern way of life may have altered our sense of being respectable and simple. “Modesty: the gentle art of enhancing your charm by pretending not to be aware of it.”- Oliver Herford

 The fashion trend nowadays speaks of the rapid change on our outlook of what is morally acceptable when it comes to the manner of dressing.

Modesty is not just an ornament but a guard to virtue. Modesty is not only about the way we dress but is also an asset that brings out the best in us. False modesty can be worse than arrogance. Although having a large self-esteem is considered undesirable, at times it is proper to take credit where it is due rather than display. Being modest is worth being praised.

“We must watch over our modesty in the presence of those who cannot understand its grounds.”- Jean Rostand. We must think first before presenting our way of understanding about modesty. We must not be conceited enough to the point where we became narcissist. We all know that people now a day want to gain fame and popularity to the point where they lie and pretend even though it is not them; they became more focus on how to become on top. Their vanity is visible more than who they really are.

People think now a day that being modest is a social requirement. People try to fit in the modernized society to avoid being out on what is trending. People also try to fit in because of peer pressure and ignorance. They think that if they are not in trend, people would think of them as old fashioned.

But the thing is, being in this modernized society we need to fit in. Being modest is a form of self- expression. It boosts our self-esteem knowing that you would look good. Being modest means being on style, it shows how we can deliver ourselves through creativity.

To sum it all up, our perspective about modesty changes as time passes by because of the new trends. Being in a modernized society, you need to be on trend just to fit in the society. And even though the world changes time to time, we should know how to preserve our selves to live the way as we truly are. Peer pressure usually became the main reason why individuals change just as what’s trending in the present. We also seek attention, fame and popularity that’s why we ought to change our sense of fashion depending on how you express yourself mostly by dressing and wearing different ornaments, dresses, and make ups just to impress other people, being praised is like a bottle of medicine that boosts’ your self-esteem.