Strong Words

Life reigned for many, many years. His smile was the sunshine that gave light and happiness to the people. His gold watch ticked each moment, each second, of their precious little lives.

Death watched from afar, calm and peaceful, as her dark eyes trailed the world. She watched as Life guided the humans, step by step, creating an abundance of energy and trust.

She had meant what she had said that night. She was not angry, nor upset. Only patient, and calm. At ease.

He had expected her to be mad, raging with jealously. But Death was smarter than that, she was knowing. She knew what was going to happen. But for know, she let Life have his time. It was only a matter of it anyway...

*"*

"Grandpapa!" A little girl cried, running through the green fields, her smile visible from a mile away, She had shaggy brown hair, bright blue eyes, and worn-down clothes from playing in the fields all day. Her forehead glistened in sweat from the sun and the business the day had brought. Though she had been busy all day, it seemed as if no energy had been used. Instead, more had come back to its place.

Her grandfather chuckled, rocking back and forth in his chair as his granddaughter ran into his arms.

"Grandpapa! Grandpapa! Guess what?!" The little girl asked excitedly, her smile growing wider. Her grandfather laughed slightly.

"What is it, Maggie?" He replied, a twinkle in his eyes. He set her on his lap.

She beamed, and then reached for her pocket. After digging in her pocket for a few moments she finally pulled out-

"Lookie! I found a rose! Isn't it pretty?" Maggie exclaimed, holding the flower in her hand as she giggled.

"Oh, yes. Very pretty. And beautiful, just like my granddaughter." He said, pushing a strand of her hair behind her ear. "Just be careful, although it is very pretty, the thorns can still poke you."

She nodded, and then, being careuful not to touch the thorns, put the rose back in her pocket.

"Grandpapa?"

"Yes?"

"Why can't you come play with me? I mean, I was playing with Jordan but he doesn't like to pick flowers. He says it's a girls thing." She made a face at that. "Then he left and I had to play all by myself."

"That's a shame, if only-"

"Maggie!" A voice called, making the two of them turn. "Maggie, are you bothering Grandpa? You know what I've told you."

Maggie's mother picked her daughter up with her arms with a frown.

"No, I wasn't Mommy! Grandpapa was lonely so I decided to go to him."

"She's right, Jena. It's okay. She was only-" He stopped short as a sharp pain hit his chest and he groaned, bending down to his knees.

"Dad! Are you alright?!" Jena asked, voice full of concern. She was now holding her father, Maggie nearby.

The pain stopped as soon as it came. He breathed a few times before returning to his normal state.

"I'm fine, Jena. Don't worry." He replied, but there was still an unsure look in his daughter's eyes. He then turned to Maggie, who looked like she was on the verge of tears.

"Don't worry, Maggie. Everything will be alright."

"Promise?"

"I promise."