Summertrain

He was 8 years old again. 

All at once, he could see the faded grey-blue skies, light smokey clouds billowing across the expanse. The tracks became a newer shade of brown, with the tufts of grass poking through and refusing to be battened down by the passing trains. As each engine passed, he listened, entranced, to the willowing and whistling that left behind little entrails of smoke billowing around. The flight of the breeze which was every so often strengthened by the journey of the trains tousled his younger brown hair, dancing over his skin, taunting the field grass. The open country smelt of savannah grass and the slightly unpleasant smell of metal and its rust, even through all the seasons he was there. If he had taken a video of all those times, one would be fascinated even by the simplicity of the colours of the remote area changing and changing. 

He blinked as yet another train sped past, whipping his hair around, taunting him with its seemingly free speed and hazing smoke. 

He was 15 years old again. 

Coming back to this place always did that to him. It was a soporific, and he loved it like the way a child listened to her mother's stories. All at once, he would be back to half his age again, immersed in the pages of an old, yellowed, dog-eared storybook. He could feel the hands of the clock in his mind, turning, turning, turning. They spun backwards so quickly, whizzing about as he watched the people of the past go about their daily business, in reverse. Snapping out of his reverie, he always felt the same sense of nostalgic dizziness, but he loved it nonetheless.

Come with me for a little ride, see the shadows passing by... 

Look at the sun and see the clouds turn to faces in the sky...

Daydreaming lightly through the rain... 

All's forgiven on the summer train...

"Dreaming again, lover boy?" a whisper of warm breath tingled the side of his head. He shivered immediately - he knew that voice, the soft song of a lovebird, the quiet breaths of a dear girl. Without turning, he reached behind him and interlaced his fingers with hers, pulling her down to sit next to him on the tracks. 

They sat there, completely comfortable in the silence around, except for the trills of lovebirds and the frolicking breeze. Their hands were still connected, and her head slowly came to tilt onto his shoulder. She could feel his smile lift above her head as he turned towards her slightly and took in a content breath. 

His hand crept over to her leg and he sneakily ran his finger over her thigh, the movement resembling that of an insect. She screamed instinctively and jumped up as if on a spring, until she realised it was the boy's doing. Glaring at him as he convulsed into a stubborn fit of laughter, she fell back down on the track and attacked him. 

He laughed, the sound she loved so much chiming in the air. "I've missed you," his voice dropping as the words meant for her only stirred the flows of her hair like a bridal veil. 

She pressed her face closer to his cheek. It felt like a relief, for both of them, like their souls awakening because of the grazing touch between them. It was electrifying, at the same time, soothing - to be with someone they knew so well. He turned towards her and leant in, foreheads and noses touching, with serene smiles and a content gaze shared between them. He held out his hand to push her fringe away from her eyes, running his fingers down the side of her face. Closing his eyes, he leant slightly forward and brushed his lips against hers. He felt her melt as he took her in his arms and smiled against her lips before teasingly poking his tongue out for a split second. He kissed her quivering lips with a quiet passion and pulled her even closer to him. She was delightfully soft and warm, and she tasted sweet. Maybe it was because he liked her so much the way he did. Reluctantly, he pulled an inch away from their entangling liplock, peering through half-lidded eyes at her with her still demurely-shut eyes and peachy cheeks. He shivered when her eyelashes tickled his face as she opened her eyes. 

No words were needed. 

Dropping another light kiss on her nose, he got up to his feet and pulled her up with him. She leaned into him and let herself fall into his body. 

There seemed to be a silent, telepathic agreement between them as they both carefully stepped onto the two rails of the track on opposite sides. Hands still intertwined, they took the next step forward, holding onto each other, balancing, and walked together down the seemingly endless railway, continuing on their journey together.

Come away with me...

It's gonna be alright, just breathe...

It's gonna be all right, you'll see...

Come away with me...