Chapter 1

Chapter 1

-----

“10 more.”

“Come on, Nic. Can we please take a break?”

“I thought you want to be smokin' hot when you go on your date with Stella?"

He looked away and sighed in frustration, "Nic, we both know I will NEVER be 'smokin' hot'"

I looked at him and I lifted his chin so that he was facing me, "Nick, yeah it's true you're not

'smokin' hot,'" I said with a little emphasis, "as of now... but maybe in a year or two you'll be hotter than Brad Pitt!"

I smiled at him and gave him a little nudge at the side. He shook his head as a chuckle escaped his mouth.

"Nicole... if it wasn't for you I wouldn't even stand a chance on getting a date with Stella..."

"No. Nick, if it wasn't for YOUR amazing cooking skills YOU wouldn't be on a date with Stella Kane. I was just the bridge."

"For sure, she wouldn't even consider a second date..."

"Why not?"

"We both know why..."

I hate it when he does this. I put on my best confused and innocent face, "I don't. Enlighten me!"

"It's pretty obvious, Nicole!" okay, I think I just pissed him off, "I'm fat, obese, overweight, need I say more?" Yup, I pissed him off alright.

"I'm sorry... I was just teasing you." I gave his hand a squeeze as I looked up at him, "In my

eyes, you're hot!"

He looked away and laughed. I love his laugh.

"You're just saying that 'cause you're my best friend… and because you love my cooking." He added with a smirk.

"No, I'm not saying that because I'm your best friend... I really love your cooking though. But still, I'm saying this because you may not be hot on the outside but you are on the inside. You're amazing. It doesn't matter if you weigh 400 or 500 pounds, what matters, is who you are, your personality is what makes people love you. And if Stella Kane can't see that... then she is so not worth it!" I let go of his hand and I start walking back to the weights we've been using. I had to walk away before I said too much.

I've known Nick for a while now. We met 3 years ago at a gallery. He loved my photography and I loved his cooking from then on we became buddies and, eventually, best friends.

I work as a part-time physical fitness instructor at a local gym and I have my own photography business. I do have to say Nick's pretty hard work. It took hell a lot of convincing for him to start working out. A few days ago he finally considered my offer because he's got a date with the one and only Stella Kane. I know he likes her so I helped him make a move. All I know is that they met at one of the foodie conventions--or whatever you call it--he went to a few months ago.

Stella Kane, runway princess, as the tabloids would like to call her. Model extraordinaire. Has an accent that guys *ehem* Nick *ehem* would die for. Blonde. Perfect. She's got it all.

Any girl will kill just to be like her. Well, except for one, ME.

Three words, I. Hate. Her.

"You really think that?" Nick's question brought me out of my reverie. I hadn't noticed him

following me.

"Think what?" I asked confused. I heard him sigh and lift a barbell returning it to its proper place.

"That I'm amazing?" I look up and see him flashing his megawatt smile. God, I love that smile.

I laughed at his silliness and gave him a light punch on the arm, "I don't think you're amazing... I know for a fact that you are."

He looked at me his eyes softening when I said that, he smile just makes my heart flutter. "Thank you, Nicole. I am the luckiest guy to have a friend like you. And I love you for that!"

I love you too... more than just a friend. "I know. I am so awesome! And you better be grateful for having a best friend like me!"

"I am. I really am." He hugged me and I returned the act. Now I know he's just stalling. I took a step back and jabbed a finger at him, "Okay, now give me 20."

He groaned and muttered something under his breath that I didn't quite catch but nevertheless he did as he was told.

Nick's such an awesome person. I don't really care if he's fat. When I'm with him I just feel comfortable... I can be me. We don't have secrets. He knows me better than anybody and I know him too well, sometimes too well for my own good. I hate it when people laugh at him because of his size. Whenever I see people who tease him I make sure they don't get to witness another sunrise ever. Another thing I hate is his date with this Stella Kane chic. I know she's not interested and she's only doing this for her image. Nick's too blinded by his 'love' for her that he doesn't see she's just using him. I hate that girl. But I can't blame Nick. I mean what guy won't fall in love with a 5"6' perfect blonde chic? I'm nothing compared to what she is. Yeah, guys hit on me at the gym but that's only because they want to get in my pants, too bad 'cause I'm not that kind of girl.

I've tried talking him out of this date. I told him a million times that he does not love her that whatever he's feeling for her is plain adoration and it's just an infatuation. And did he listen? Hell no. So don't he dare come to me when that skank breaks his heart.

To answer whatever assumptions or conclusions you have in that pretty little mind of yours... yes, I, Nicolette Samuels, am in love with the renowned Chef Nicholas Peterson, also known as Nick, my best friend.

-----