Daddy knows best ?

I plopped down on the floor, trying to catch my breath as sweat poured down my face. My feet were aching but I loved every moment of it. I got up and walked over to my stereo which was curently playing drake’s crew love ft the weeknd I paused it and ejected my CD. I grabbed my phone and bag and walked out of the studio.

Walking into the parking lot and unlocking the door, I hoped in my convertible and started the car, while I waited for it to heat up I decided to check my phone. I looked 10 texts 15 missed calls 7 voicemails. all from my dad. I rolled my eyes and pulled off going into the direction of my house.

*

I walked into my house trying to be as silent as possible. fail. I tripped over my foot. typical. im so clumsy, which is weird because im an amazing dancer. “Leilani” I heard my father’s loud intimidating voice calling me from the living room. “f—ck” I swore under my breath walking slowly in. He was sitting on the sofa. facing the television that wasn’t even on.

“Uh hey daddy”

“Where were you” he didn’t even look at me, yeah he’s mad.

“I was uh, you know, running laps”

“Why didn’t u answer your phone”

“it died” he held out his hand, which meant hand it over. I dug into my pocket and pulled my phone out placing it in his hand.

“Doesn’t look dead to me” he said observing the phone. still not looking at me once.

“I — I um charged it in the car, on the way home”

“sit down.” he simply said. I sat softly next to him. A moment passed. then he finally spoke.

“your not dancing behind my back again are you?” I was quiet, contemplating rather I should tell him the truth or not. “LEILANI” he said. I jumped.

“no daddy. o-of course not”

“good” he said. another moment passed. then he sighed turning towards me. meaning he’s calmed down. “Look sweetie, im only hard on you because I know whats best for you. Track is your future. dancing isn’t going to get you anywhere in life” I just nodded my head.

“now go get changed for dinner, we’re having some guests over” he kissed my forehead and handed me my phone. I jogged up to my room shutting my door behind me and fell onto my bed.

I stared at the ceiling. thinking. How could he POSSIBLY know whats best for me. he doesn’t even know the REAL me.

I sighed and sat up. going over to my dresser pulling out a picture of my mother. It was an old picture, of one of her photoshoots. She was a dancer. A very talented one at that. a tear rolled down my eye. I wiped it away quickly and put the photo back in the dresser. I shut it softly and fell back on my bed.