Black and White Photos

Straw hat. Check.

          Sunglasses. Check.

          Loose white school shirt and vest underneath. Check.

          Favourite denim shorts. Check.

          Indigo converse. Check.

          Camera. Check.

          "All ready for your second year, Danni?" my mom grinned, ushering me to sit down and have breakfast. I rolled my eyes as I munched on a dry piece of toast, trying to talk to her to her as flecks of bread flew everywhere. "Mm fing ishh, mom, mmu shay the shame fing every yherr!"

          "English, please?" mom pointed out, raising an eyebrow.

          "What I was saying was, you say the same thing every year, yet school still sucks all the same." I mumbled, stuffing as much toast into my mouth as I could before it was time to go. "Whatever, sweetheart. Your dad's at work, and he says he'll call you later. Oh! You better hurry! 15 minutes till school." mom reminded, hurrying off into the kitchen.

          "Bye!" I called, slamming the door shut as the sun gleamed onto my black sunglasses. "Well, hi there gorgeous." a voice said, as I bumped into someone. I moaned silently. Guys and their stupid pick-up lines. "What?" I asked, with a cold edge to my voice. I looked up at the guy. Damn my height. I was only 5'3. This guy must have been 5'9! "I'm Austin." he smiled genuinely, lifting up his black shades. "I'm Danni." I said suspiciously, eyeing him up and down. He seemed pretty care-free, and had a muscular body,  with sparkly brown eyes and dark chesnut brown hair....Oh, that sexy brown hair....

          "Snap out of it!" I grumbled to myself.

          "Excuse me...?" Austin asked, looking confused. "Did you say something?"

          "Nothing! Nothing at all!" I squeaked, my voice going incredibly high. I was a terrible liar, and my voice went EXTREMELY high when I was telling a lie.

          Austin chuckled. "Never mind. So....can you tell me where St. Abecrombie High is? I'm pretty much lost." he grinned sheepishly.

          "Oh, you're new? I'm Danni. By the way, I'd be happy to show you where it is. After all, I go there. I could show you around, as long as you don't hit on me with your cheesy pickup lines again, or else I'd have to karate kick your privates." I smirked.

          "Agreed." he smiled, ruffling his messy dark brown hair.

          "Say cheese!" I cried, as I took a suprise black-and-white snapshot of Austin looking suprised. Unlike the new techy cameras, I had an old one that my mom had used when she was my age. I laughed silently as I stared at it, which made Austin suspicious. "What have you got there...?" he questioned, trying to grab the photo. "Nothing! Just a fond memory of you." I giggled loudly, trying to dodge his constant darting reaches.

          Finally, Austin gave up. "So, how old are you?" he asked, as we reached the entrance to school. "16. Starting my second year today." I explained, my voice muffled by the chomping of a spare piece of slightly dry red liquorice I had found at the bottom of my bag. "Me too." he grinned, and as we walked inside the receptionist, Mrs. Bales, glanced at him.

          "Ah, Austin Parks, I see you have have already met Miss. Danni Summers. Welcome back, Danni. I hope you choose not to throw water balloons from the roof of the school building at fellow students again, or stick up inappropriate photoshopped pictures of Mr. Walsh, or start a food fight in the school cafeteria. I still have the lingering scent of macaroni and cheese in my hair from last summer! You're a very keen and advanced photographer though, as ever." Mrs. Bales introduced, but as she was talking, a faint smile crept up to her lips.

          "Um, thanks, Mrs. Bales." Austin muttered awkwardly as she handed him his schedule, and facing to talk to me after glancing at it quickly, he whispered, smiling, "I have a feeling you're an interesting girl, not like one of those fake girls who cake on shiny makeup all day. Oh, and look, we have pretty much the same classes!"

          "Uhhhhh, yeah, so....I have to go to the toilet. Meet you later, since we have Art at the same time." I lied, dashing to the toilets, and locking myself in a cubicle. I felt my cheeks burning red, and not because of the hot summer heat.