Chapter Four: The Resident at Pop's

Juliet Jones sat inside the cafeteria, munching on a burger and drinking the signature milkshake. Suddenly, Ben came and sat down in front of Juliet.

"Oh. Hey," Juliet said, shutting her screen.

"When did you say that Ariel and you planned your road trip?" Ben asked breathlessly.

"Fourth of July. Why?"

Ben showed Juliet the headlines.

The Sun of Riverdale

EXCLUSIVE: Blossom shot on 4th of July; Coroner's Report

Juliet stared at the headlines for a very long time.

"What do you want to do?" Juliet asked.

"We have to ask Ariel what the hell she did on July 4th!"

Juliet sighed. "I know we aren't talking to her, but I highly doubt Ariel had anything to do with anything. Have you met Ariel? Ariel cries if a fly dies."

Ben slumped onto the table, snatching a piece of mayonnaise-coated lettuce and chewing it. "What do we do then?"

Juliet smiled. "Investigate, baby," Juliet laughingly said.

Ben smirked.

~

Vermont, Ariel, and Kat sat in the middle of Ariel's room in the attic, while Ariel strummed on the guitar. Vermont groaned out of nowhere. "I can't believe Ben is still not talking to us."

Kat raised her eyebrows while cuddling Vegas. "I don't know if this is relevant, but I saw Ben with Juliet at Pop's yesterday."

Ariel stopped her strumming. "With Juliet? You sure?"

Vermont, confused, asked, "Wh-who's Juliet?"

Kat filled in the blanks for Vermont. "Ariel's ex-best friend."

Ariel looked at Kat, irritated. "I wouldn't say ex-best friend."

Vermont looked to Kat for an explanation. "Ariel ditched Juliet on their road trip on July 4th. And then they just didn't talk. It's weird."

Vermont raised his eyebrows and looked at Ariel for an explanation. "I was busy, alright? I forgot," Ariel said lamely.

"As if you forgot. You were obsessing with the details of the route with Juliet after finals and were eating my brain like pesky maggots."

Vermont laughed. Ariel rolled her eyes.

Vermont suddenly sat up. "Wait. July 4th? Isn't that the day Janessa was shot?"

Ariel looked at Vermont, shocked. "Wait, what, really?"

"Yeah, look," Kat looked through her phone, and whipped out the Sun of Riverdale's online website.

Ariel looked like she had seen a ghost. "You okay, Ari?" Vermont asked, worried.

"Yeah. No. It's just. Frightening, you know?" Ariel tried to cover up her anxiety.

"Yeah, sure. I guess," Vermont shrugged.

~

Ben and Juliet sat in the cafeteria together. "Are we seriously going to try to figure out who killed Janessa Blossom?" Ben asked.

"Don't you want to?" Juliet shrugged.

"Yeah, sure, but, we're kids," Ben explained.

"We know Janessa better than Sherriff Keller. And we have Chester."