The Rock Show

The crowd cheering. The sweat. The jumping. The mosh pit. The ambiance. Everything was in place to make the perfect show ever. 

__________________

Work is always the same, uneventful and boring. Being a secretary for your dad's business may sound cool...who am I kidding, it's not. 

My days this summer consist of answering the phone and listening to the radio, because that's all that there is to do around here. 

Last week, the most exciting this that has happened was that the power went off for about 10 minutes. That put some action in my day! 

But seriously, enough with my boring work days. Here I am, sitting in my big leather spinny chair spinning around and pretending to be in an aircraft and signing along to some songs when I heard something that caught my attention on the radio. 

I give myself a spin towards the radio, and turn it up so the radio host's voice filled the room. 

"As you all might have heard, The Maine are coming to Toronto, and we're giving away a pair of tickets! Call 674-QRAD to win those tickets! Caller number 9 will get them."

I squealed and searched my pockets for my phone nervously to dial the number, messing up on the 4 key. I really need those tickets, The Maine were my favourite band, and when I tried to get pre-sale tickets, they sold out in front of my eyes. Not this time, they won't.

I re-try the number, and suddenly the phone is rigning in my ears.

"Come on, come on, come on" I whisper to myself. 

The line goes dead. That's it, all my hopes and dreams go down the drain. I was about to turn off the radio to go drown in my sadness, when I hear a familiar voice. 

"Did I WIN?" I hear a voice that strangely ressembled my best friend's. 

"You are caller number nine, so yeah I think you did" The host replied smugly. 

I hear the girl squeal with excitement, and I can't stop myself from feeling jealous.

"So what is your name, and do you have anything to say to the whole city of Toronto?"

"My name is Adriana, and Mel if you're listening, we're going to see The Maine! Thank you so much!"

"No problem! I love making people happy" The host said, laughing. 

No.Way. 

Adriana just won tickets to The Maine. I can't believe this. My phone started buzzing in my hands, but it took a while to realize this since I was still in shock.

"Hello?" I forgot to look at the caller ID.

"Hey Mel! were you listening to QRAD?" I heard Adriana say, trying to hide her excitement. I decided to play along. 

_____

And that's how I ended up in a clothing mess. 

"Come on Mel! We're going to be at the end of the line if you don't hurry up!" My best friend whined.  

"But I don't know which shirt to wear!"

"You have this problem every damn show we go to! And you just end up wearing the same thing. Every.Time." She said, sounding bored and impatient. 

Going to shows was all we did with our life. All my money went towards tickets. I made a personal goal where I had to go see at least one band I didn't know once a month. But today was different; after a year of waiting, The Maine was finally coming to Toronto. They were one of my favourite bands, and to be honest, I had a crush on the guitarist Kennedy. I have no shame saying I will be marrying this boy.  Everything was going to be perfect, if I could find something to wear.