A Flash of Silver (1)

Dead earth crunched under bare feet, as a girl wondered through the maze.

Reds, yellows, and browns painted the canopy. Fingertips drug across the rough, cracked trunk of the nearest oak tree.

Green doe eyes slowly gazed over the dying heartbeat of the world.

Her world, and yet...

she was at peace.

***

I was awoken from my blissful slumber when I heard soft pounding footsteps. I blinked my eyes open to find a hazel pair starring back at me. A soft grin grew on my lips as I lifted the tiny body into my warm embrace. The hairs on the top of his head tickled my nose and cheeks. My soft lips peppering kisses to the face of my little brother.

"RaRa! No no!" He squealed as he used his little hands, and with all his might, tried to remove my lips from his face.

"Alaric! You little monkey!" A soft, yet playful, gasp escaped my throat as he had managed to wiggle himself out of my grasp and went his way giggling on down the hallway. I heard a faint cry from somebody down the hall, and knowingly, shook my head as a smile still made its way to my lips. My hand raked my hair as my senses were suddenly aware of the delicious aromas coming from outside my bedroom. Cold hardwood met my feet as I slipped out of my warm cocoon of ash colored blankets. The bedroom walls matched my sheets whilst all of my décor are white and black accents. My feet led me to my ginormous walk in closet that's bursting at the seams with up to date fashion. I ran my fingers along each article of clothing trying to decide what I wanted to wear. Eventually I decided to slip on a plain black short sleeve dress with a sweetheart neckline and my lucky golden necklace with a blue diamond set in the center. Our nurse, Mel, disturbed me from my thoughts with a clearing of her throat.

"Good morning, Miss." Her voice came out quiet and soft like that of a mouse.

"Good morning, Mel. Are the boys giving you a hard time?" I spoke with slight annoyance in my tone. Those boys can't give this poor woman a break.

"Yes Miss, but I'm here because your Mother and Father have sent for you to join them in the dinning room. Breakfast has been served." She avoided my gaze throughout her whole sentence. As she finished, she did a small curtsey to dismiss herself and I gave her a small nod back in her direction.

It was then that I remembered how ridiculous my family was and how much I hated how different we treated our servants. We are normal people like them, but because Father is so harsh, they are forced to be seen and not heard. My eyes fluttered shut as I remembered that today I get to go back to Hogwarts and a sigh of relief escaped my cherry blossom colored lips. I followed the noises still coming from the hallway and decided I should help out whether Father would like it or not. The sight my eyes landed on would've definitely gotten them in trouble. Alaric was running around in his just his trousers, whilst both Declan and Kias were chasing each other up and down the hall. I caught Declan by his arm before he passed by and moved him to stand in front of me. He gave me a glare and attempted to move past me, I predicted this and once again stood in his way.

"Declan, stop this nonsense now before Father hears you and becomes upset." I gave him an all needed smack against the back of his head.

"Bloody hell, Lara!" He huffed and ran a hand through his chestnut hair which was slightly curly. His hazel eyes held annoyance, yet an understanding of what could happen if he didn't listen to me. "I'm sorry I didn't mean to upset you; we were just having a bit of fun is all." His words were breathless, and sudden realization struck me as I must have knocked some wind out of him and loosened my grip on his arm.