Chapter 4: L.A and our first day at the reserve.

Chelbell2016:

Okay so this one is done. Please review.

Katelyn's POV:

We are now on our way to the reserve. I have kept quiet the whole time. I am in the back of the American's car who I now know as Greg. Jill is at the front with him.

I don't talk. I just look out of the window. I still don't know whether this is a good idea.

Joe is in a large truck at the back of us. I wonder if he is okay.

Apparently so does Jill.

"Do you think he's okay back there?" She asks Greg.

"He's doing fine," Greg says and I can hear the amusement in his voice.

"Okay," Jill agrees.

I smile at my sisters antics. What would life be like without her? Boring that's for sure.

"I'm sorry," she says and she looks at him. "I'm just a little tense."

"Yeah well your not the only one," I say speaking for the first time since we left our homeland.

Jill doesn't answer she just turns and looks back at the truck again. "Do you think he's okay back there?"

I chuckle and so does Greg.

"I think he's okay back there," I tell her.

"Good," Greg agrees.

Jill looks around at our surroundings.

"So this is L.A huh?" She says but then she looks confused. "Everything looks the same. How do you know where you are?"

"It's easy," Greg says and I turn to look at him. "Ocean's that way, the mountains are that way, Mexico's that way and Canada's that-a-way. Don't worry about the rest you'll never see it through the smog."

Jill tries to put her seat belt on. I think that's what its called anyway.

"Maybe you better check and see if Joe's okay back there," Greg says.

Jill jumps to look back there and I send Greg a look through the mirror at the front of his car. He gulps but looks better when Jill smiles at him.

Greg then speaks again. "So Katelyn.. What do you want to do when your older?"

At first I don't answer but my sister sends me a look.

"Well before we decided that we need to leave," I say referring to the fact that we are going now. "I was learning to become a vet. Whenever an injured animal was brought in I was helping the local vet with them."

He looks impressed. "Maybe we can find somewhere for you to continue your training at the reserve. My little brother Henry he's nineteen he is one of the youngest vets there are. Maybe we can get him to teach you."

I look shocked at him. "You'd do that?"

"Only if you promise to finally show me a smile," he says and I turn away.

"I don't smile," I say and I hear Jill sigh. "I haven't smiled much in twelve years."

He drops it as we begin to head into the reserve. But I thought I heard him say. "I'll keep trying."

(-)(-)(-)(-)(-)(-)(-)(-)(-)(-)(-)(-)(-)(-)(-)(-)(-)(-)(-)(-)(-)(-)(-)(-)(-)(-)(-)(-)(-)(-)(-)(-)(-)(-)(-)(-)(-)(-)(-)(-)(-)(-)(-)(-)(-)(-)(-)(-)(-)(-)(-)(-)(-)(-)(-)(-)

We stop inside the reserve and Joe's truck is right behind us.

As we are getting out a man, a younger man and a woman come over to speak to us three.