Chapter One

It has been almost 2 years since I was turned fae. No powers besides seeing glimpses of the future have manifested, thank the mother. Since the war has ended I have bided my time by tending to the town house garden. I have yet to move out. My sister Nesta already has, but I do not feel ready.

I sit on a chair in the garden admiring all of my lovely work for a moment as I take a break. Dirt covers my working dress along with grass stains, my gloves laying beside me. The early morning wind is chilly, but refreshing. Sea and citrus fill my nose. Sounds from all over still fill my ears, but I have worked on drowning most of them out. 

Just as I slip on my gloves I hear boots crunching against the rock pathway that leads to the garden. I know who it is before he says a word. Things have gotten better between us, but I haven't accepted the bond. "Good morning Elain." Luciens voice is soft and gentle. His words caress my ears, and a small tug fills my chest. 

"Lucien. How are you on this morning?" I ask quietly, pulling up a weed, causing more dirt to fall on my dress as I put it in a bucket.

"Quite alright. I am glad to see you. You know how it is with my job and all." 

Yes I do. Each day he was gone I felt the loss of him. "How is you brother faring?" he knows the brother to which I am referring. He is silent for a few moments.

The only sound is coming from me pulling up another weed. I hear him swallow. "Well." he croaks. Although Eris helped him he is still a touchy subject for Lucien. He tires to visit regularly. This way we could get to know one another. It's quite pleasant. 

"Sorry. Would you like to help me pull weeds?" I ask to lighten his mood.

He kneels down beside me, his fiery red hair loose around his shoulders, one eye of gold the other of russet smiling at me, his crème colored pants sticking to his powerful thighs, his navy shirt is buttoned up for all except 2. I give him a genuine smile and gesture to a weed on his left. He pulls it up and we work in silence.

We move in sync, flowing like a river, like one soul. I cant help but steal a few glances of him. The scar on his face, his sun-kissed skin, fiery hair flowing in the slight breeze. He is truly a remarkable sight to behold. I know he longs for me to accept it. The bond between us, but I cant.. at least maybe not yet. I can feel the longing, the hurt and sorrow he feels every time we get closer. Maybe I'll never be ready, but I know he will accept it.

"How have you been?" he asks after a while.

"Good. Az came down a little to keep me company while Feyre and Rhysand were up at the house of wind. He read while I gardened. I also read a really interesting novel while you were gone. I think you might like it, if you ever have time I can lend it to you." 

He stiffens a bit when I mention Azriel, but he has long since accepted our friendship. He never tried to prevent it, but I think he was weary about it. "I'd love to read it." he sits back on his heels and wipes the dirt from his pants, his hands in front of his face and I cant resist tucking a strand of soft, silky red hair behind his pointed ear.

Not only can I not resist to tuck his hair, but I also trace his ear gingerly with a fingertip, I bite my lip and he sucks in a breath. "I missed you." he whispers.

 I quickly pull my hand away and rest it in my lap, my cheeks heating up. His words make the tug in my chest stronger. I swallow hard. I push down all the feelings rising up and give him a soft smile. "I missed you too Lucien."