Chapter 2

“Good morning, Chrissabelle,” said the servant Ivy as she placed a towel on the end of my bed. She had already pulled back the bed curtains, allowing bright morning sunshine to spill into my chamber. The light was blinding, so I squinted and lazily shifted onto my other side.

            Ivy sighed and walked around to the side I faced. She pressed her hand against my forehead. “Dear, you are perfectly fine. Arise, undress, and get in the bath for goodness’ sake! Prince Arion is here to seek your hand and can only do so if you are present.”

            “Does Father think he is worthy?” I asked in my drowsy tone.

            “I have not an idea, but we must get you cleaned up!”

            I finally forced myself out from under my bedcovers. My nightgown curved with my body and fell to my knees when I stood.

            Ivy carried my towel now and led me to the bathing chamber connected to my bedchamber. The tub was full and filled to the brim with bubbly soap.

            As I soaked in the tub, I splashed the warm water onto my face, trying my best to awaken myself. Ivy made my bed as I bathed. She prepared my dress for the morning and discovered the matching jewelry and appropriate shoes. She showed them to me by standing in the doorway. Whenever she wasn’t there, though, I would do things completely out of the ordinary. Look at my feet, wondering why only one of the veins on them showed up. Poke at the bubbles, trying to see how far across the water I could flick them. Hold my breath under water, counting how long it took me before choking.

            Once Ivy had me out of the bath, she slipped the clothes on my body. She had chosen a flowing green dress with a top-layer skirt that trailed behind me like it was on the wind. The bell sleeves were my favorite part. They were about seven inches in diameter and made of see-through fabric. A light green ribbon tied around my body under my breasts. The collar looped down in front but farther in the back, rimmed with sparkling green emeralds. Ivy fixed my hair into hundreds of wavy locks. My diamond tiara was lastly placed on my head.

            I looked in the mirror one last time before heading off with Ivy. We walked down the corridor, passing the anxious ladies-in-waiting, guards, servant boys, etcetera. The fact that Prince Arion was here was probably a surprise to them. The kingdom had been at war with his homeland, Bartrind, for decades. Now that there was a treaty, he wanted to marry me? Yeah, that made sense.

            We made it down the marble staircase and into the entrance hall. My father and mother stood with another man and woman clothed like royals. The young man beside them stood with his hands behind his back, and he shifted in his boots nervously. He looked like his father, with curly black hair and a round, bold face. I could see his mother in him as well. He had the lightest blue eyes I had ever seen.

            My father held out his hand to me. “Chrissabelle,” he said, “Let us introduce you to Prince Arion.” He beckoned to the boy who I realized was a foot taller than me.

            The boy, probably seventeen years old, bowed and took my hand gently. He kissed the back of it, which made me really want to raise an eyebrow. I had never had someone “seek my hand” before. I knew it meant that he wanted to marry me, of course.

            I curtsied and pasted on a fake smile. He was definitely charming, but I had never really gotten along with royals. Despite the fact that I was one.

            “Arion would like to take Princes Chrissabelle on an outing,” said the king from Bartrind.

            “And to where would this be?” My father asked, eyeing the man. I could tell he still didn’t trust him.