Chapter 17

Four days later

I throw the rock against the wall again. It crashes with an umph.

"Nine-hundred and Ninety Nine" I count, while picking up the rock again and repeating the process.

"One Thousand" I say and sigh, sitting down.

"Finally" Jade says with an annoyed expression. "Maybe I can finally get some sleep now."

"Cut it out Jade." Jared says in a sleepy voice, from the position next to her.

While being locked up with Jade and Jared over the last couple of days I've noticed that Jared was more outspoken, calmer and optimistic while jade was more quite, moody and sorrowful she didn't speak often however when she did her words were usually not very pleasant, at all. I didn't blame her though, I mean we are prisoners, there's nothing to be happy about.

I reposition myself on the ground so that my back is resting against the wall; I also bring my hands up to my face in frustration.

"Sorry Jade, but it's better than sitting in silence with nothing better to do than countdown every second of the day." I snap back to an already fast asleep Jade.

That girl really knew how to get on my last nerve.

We need to get the hell out of here. I think to myself. Part of me wants to kick myself in the butt, great thinking Ayanna. What other brilliant ideas have you got? My subconsciousness asks rhetorically.

There has to be a way out of here. As far as I'm concerned I'm not going to stay in this damn cell for another day.

I stand up and stretch to see the cells opposite of ours, filled with other people, fast asleep.

"Jared, Jade wake up" I say, while pacing back and forth as far as my chained leg will allow. "One of the guards will come down here in maybe an hour or two to distribute our daily water allowance. We're going to get the hell out of here. This is the plan."

A few hours later

Everyone's in their regular positions. Jared and Jade are by each other on the far left hand side of the small cell while I'm right opposite the bars.

I begin to hear the sound of heavy footsteps; I sigh and give the twins a quick nod. They hesitantly nod back.

After what seems like a lifetime the guard arrives with a box full of 100 ml water pouches, he opens and grunts while throwing one of pouches into the cell for us to share.

He turns around to leave when Jade cries out. "Please, can we have one more?"

He laughs. So hard in fact that his shoulders begin to shake.

He roughly drops the box on the base of our cell, causing all the pouches to pour out, he takes slow but long strides towards Jade, all of his focus on her.

"What did you say?" He growls. "Who do you think you are asking me for more water? You should be grateful that we even give you any at all!" He screams getting dangerously close to her.

Ok Jared, now your turn I think to myself.

With a quick motion Jared kicks the guards' legs so that he lands on the floor with a heavy oomph.

"What the – ", the guard begins to say while lifting himself up.

Before he can finish I lift my unchained leg up and bash my foot against his head, making him unconscious. I try to push the guilt to the back of my mind I didn't waste any time

Oh my God. I just kicked a man in the head.

I try to push the guilt to the back of my mind, as I begin to stretch as far as I can till my fingertips make contact with the cool surface of the keys hanging from the guards front pocket. Once I've gripped them, I use the smaller one to unlock the chain from my ankle. I see that a red, deep scar has developed around it, most likely from all the movement that I've done in the last couple of days. I haven't been able to sit still like Jared and Jade have but nevertheless without making too much of a big deal about it, I run towards my fellow prisoners and insert the key into their ankle cuffs too.

I stand up, Jared and Jade follow.

I remove the keys from the singular, silver key chain and give the bigger one to Jared and the smaller one to Jade. I walk over to the body of the guard and pick up his walkie and hand it to Jared.

"Jared, use that key to open all the cells down here it shouldn't take too long, Jade you use the smaller one to free everyone from the chains holding them bound. Once you're done Jared, keep guard. I'm going to attempt to get my hands on another walkie; I'll give you further instructions of the exit point then." I say with a new found confidence that I didn't know I had.

"Be safe." Jade says while giving me a quick hug before making her way to our cell door.

"Goodbye." Jared simply says while squeezing my left shoulder. It's an action of separation, of a farewell.

He doesn't think that I'll make it.

"I'll see you soon." I respond positively.

Click

Jade has succeeded in opening the door.

With Jared and Jade right behind me, I push the door wide open and step out of the cell in hopes of never having to return.

Another Chapter! Whoop Whoop!

Hope you all enjoyed it. As usual, please don't forget to vote, comment and share! - Olivia x

*Photo of Jared and Jade on the side