Run!

RUN!

FASTER! 

SPOOKY, YOU CAN'T RUN AWAY FROM US! 

YOU CAN'T RUN FROM WHAT'S INSIDE YOUR HEAD... 

It was raining for the third day in a row, fans didn't seem to mind as they lined up at the front of the arena, patiently waiting to go inside. 

They were very thankful for every single one of them who showed up, for every single one of them who decided to keep breathing for another day, to see what daylight would have in store for them the next morning. 

Tyler was so excited he couldn't sit still, he had to run off somewhere and honestly, their manager knew better than to restrain him. They still got anxious about performing and crowds, but Tyler would transform his fear in adrenaline. Josh wasn't like that: his anxiety would get to him at the most unexpected times. 

Right now, with Tyler gone and the crew members nowhere to be seen, he was feeling worse than ever. Maybe a quick run around the arena could calm the nerves. Maybe he would bump into Ty and join him. He picked up the pace at the thought, he really needed some calming words from his best friend. 

As he was tying his running shoes a thought crossed his mind and left him sad and puzzled.

He left because he doesn't want to stay with you. He's probably out to find another drummer. A better one. 

He got up and noticed his hands shaking terribly, his throat already tightening up with the rising attack. Calm down, it's nothing, just the usual pre-show anxiety. Calm down... You got this... 

You can't run away from us, Spooky, we're your demons, we're your fights. You don't exist without us. Stay low...

SHUT UP! JUST SHUT UP! LET ME THINK! 

His shaky hands turned into fists and he had tears in his eyes. He couldn't do this show, he knew how much this meant for the fans and Ty but this didn't feel right. He needed to go, before anyone could talk him out of it. I need out, I can't... Tyler would have to find a replacement... 

Leave Joshua, if you leave now nobody will know and you'll be free of this. Don't go on stage, stay with us. 

He could feel himself shiver and a trail of cold sweat slide down his spine, his vision going numb. Out... 

He quietly sneaked out from a service door out in the warm night air, choking on his tears and releasing a deep breath he didn't know he was holding... 

NOW RUN!  

He frantically looked at his surroundings and started running, not knowing where, he didn't even know what town they were in but he didn't care. He only listened to the voice inside his head.

FASTER! THEY CAN'T GET TO YOU OR YOU'LL NEVER BE FREE AGAIN! 

He was too busy panicking to notice the sound of a pair of feet running behind him, quickly catching up and grabbing his arm. He turned around with eyes filled of fear, tears were streaming down his face, his pink hair a sweaty mess on top of his head. Fear was replaced by confusion then by relief. "Tyler? What are you doing here?", his voice shaky and unsure, "What the heck Josh?! Why would you run off without saying anything? I got so worried! Everybody did!". Tyler wrapped his friend in a hug, feeling him relax in his arms. Sometimes panic would be too much for him, he knew that, he just wished Josh would tell him right away. 

"I'm sorry Tyler, you need a better drummer, a better friend, you probably don't want to be around the mess that I am, I'll go pack my stuff from the bus and take a plane back home..." he said in a soft voice, barely audible. "Don't be silly, let's go back to the arena, you can shower, relax a bit. We play a good show for those people out there and then we're home. You'll be alright I promise." 

"You promise?" 

"I do, we can figure this out when we're back in Columbus, Dog Breath"

"Thank you, Baby Boy"