Untitled Part 1

Prompt or Short

...

"Honey, dinner's ready," Kathleen said, entering her daughter's bedroom. She smiled as she looked around. Her smile disappeared when she realized her daughter wasn't there.

"Kath."

A hand fell on her shoulder, but Kathleen just stood there, in the middle of her daughter's room, staring at the desk with a laptop, a lamp, two framed pictures of Kathleen and daughter, and stacks of books.

"I-I thought she was here." Kathleen's voice was trembling. She just wanted to eat dinner with her daughter.

"I know, sweetheart," Garett cooed, wrapping his arms around her waist. He sat down on the carpeted floor, pulling Kathleen down with him. Kathleen let him hold her as she cried.

Every single day, they went through the same thing: The two would wake up. They'd drink coffee. Kathleen clean up around the house a little. Garett would go to work. Kathleen cooked dinner. She'd then go to her daughter's room and tell her dinner was ready. Garett would come home and comfort her.

"I just want to hold her again. I-I just want to tell her I love her again. Wh-why can't she come home? I just want my baby to come home, Gar," Kathleen sobbed.

Garett's heart broke. He hated it when Kathleen cried. Whenever he saw Kathleen break down, he'd try to help her, but nothing worked and he felt useless.

"Baby, I want to hold you close

I want to tell you how much I love you

Honey, the whole world knows

And I need to make sure you do too," Garett sang softly, gently resting his head on Kathleen's shoulder. Kathleen stopped shaking and let out a sigh.

"We had all the time in the world

That's what everyone said

They just didn't know, baby girl

They didn't see you on your bed

Baby I want to hold you close

I want to tell you how much I love you

Honey, the whole world knows

And I need to make sure you do too

You used to run around taking pictures

Telling me how much you loved my smile

Every now and then my chest hurts

I haven't seen yours in a while

My little girl is an angel in the sky

She's been given her wings

Every day I wonder why

Why she's still flying

But one day I'll see with my eyes

Why she had to leave me

Baby I want to hold you close

I want to tell you how much I love you

Honey, the whole world knows

And I need to make sure you do too."

Kathleen opened her eyes, wondering when she closed them, then turned to look at Garett. He had tears in his eyes, but he had sung the song without his voice breaking.

"Where did you hear that song?"

"I wrote it for you," Garett said.

"You know, she would have loved you, Gar," Kathleen said, smiling sadly.