Chapter 4

Beatrice

We left early in the morning. Ethan was dead, suffocated with his own blood. Nicholas didn't even bother to help him.

We were on our way to my place, in hopes that we could get shelter and the essentials. It was quite a way to walk, taking about an hour, and the sun was blistering with its bright rays shining in our eyes.

We walked in a comfortable silence. We were tired, and were speechless after the events of the past night. The bombings started without any notice, yet they seemed to be perfectly timed. There was no way a group of  teenagers would be able to find out what's going on and stop it.

Our feet were aching. Our throats, dry. Our heads, spinning from the heat. It was a long way more to go and the sun seemed to be getting warmer with each passing second.

"Stop," demanded Alexa, her voice raspy. "We can't go any further. We need a break."

"Every second we spend waiting around is a possibility of us all being dead," sneered Nicholas. He was never like this before, but then again, he did just lose a friend.

Alexa argued, "If we don't stop we'd die of heatstroke anyways!"

I decided to intervene, "We're going to take a ten minute break," my voice echoed around the empty streets. I looked over at Nicholas. "As long as we're alert everything will be fine,"

As we rested beneath a shady tree I heard Nicholas murmur something underneath his breath, but decided to ignore it anyways.