William Wordsworth

WILLIAM WORDSWORTH

WILLIAM WORDSWORTH

Born: April 7, 1770
Cockermouth, Gumberland, England

Wife:
In November 1791, Wordsworth visited Revolutionary France and became enchanted with the Republican movement. He fell in love with a French woman, Annette Vallon, who in 1792 gave birth to their daughter Caroline. Financial problems and Britain's tense relations with France forced him to return to England alone the following year.[9] The circumstances of his return and his subsequent behaviour raised doubts as to his declared wish to marry Annette, but he supported her and his daughter as best he could in later life. The Reign of Terror left Wordsworth thoroughly disillusioned with the French Revolution and the outbreak of armed hostilities between Britain and France prevented him from seeing Annette and his daughter for some years.

With the Peace of Amiens again allowing travel to France, in 1802 Wordsworth and his sister Dorothy visited Annette and Caroline in Calais. The purpose of the visit was to prepare Annette for the fact of his forthcoming marriage to Mary Hutchinson.[9] Afterwards he wrote the sonnet "It is a beauteous evening, calm and free," recalling a seaside walk with the 9-year-old Caroline, whom he had never seen before that visit. Mary was anxious that Wordsworth should do more for Caroline and upon Caroline's marriage, in 1816, when Wordsworth settled £30 a year on her (equivalent to £1360 as of the year 2000). The payments continued until 1835, when they were replaced by a capital settlement.

Died: April 23, 1850
Cumberland, England

William Wordsworth died because of the Pleurisy. The Pleurisy is inflammation of the membrane that surround the lungs and line the chest cavity.

Three Famous Writing

> I Wandered Lonely as a Clound
>The Thorn
>The Tables Turned