If you want to talk

Just as I was leaving English Lit class, Mr. Batch took hold of my arm and motioned for me to come sit by him.

For a few moments, it was kind of awkward, because I have never talked to him directly except to ask questions about the notes. Finally he asked "You weren't paying attention today in class. Is something wrong?"

I couldn't believe it. Mr. Batch was actually concerned for my feelings!

But I can't let him see that I am so happy. If Kate is right, and he knows how I feel about him, then I can't tell him what is bothering me. So I'll deny everything.

"No, it's nothing. last night, my roommate just said some things that bugged me a little bit."

Mr. Batch still seemed slightly concerned, but he decided to let it go.

"Well, okay. I don't believe you. But whatever, you have your secrets, and I have mine. But if you want to talk, I'll listen."

I was astounded. Mr. Batch was inviting me to talk to him! And even better, he actually noticed my feelings in the first place. I've always seen him as a cold, unreachable proffesser, but I am beginning to think that there are more layers to his personality that he's not letting people see. I tried to keep him talking, to see if I could maybe get close enough to him.

"If, hypothetically, I did want to talk, then where could I reach you?" I inquired "you don't usually stay at school very late, so I would have to phone you, or snag you at lunch"

He seemed slightly bewildered as to how I knew when he left work, but he seemed to have taken a strange interest in me.

"You can come by my place after your classes are finished. In fact, come by this Friday evening. You seem nice, and I want to have dinner with you."

I was taken aback. I normally wouldn't go over to any mans house on this short notice (none the less one who was ten years older than me, not to mention my proffesser), but this was Mr. Batch. wether or not I would wasn't even a question.

I accepted the offer quietly and left the classroom without further disscussion. I spent the rest of the evening with thoughts about Friday night constantly running through my head, but as I went to bed that night, I had a bit of a scary thought. What if it was all only a trick, and Mr. Batch really didn't want me to come over and it was only a trick to get me to confess my love for him! Unfortunatley, with that thought, I didn't get much sleep that night.