Lucky Stars

Oliver stood with his arms propped on the railing looking out into the trees. He bathed in the setting sun's last breath of warmth on the cool winter skyline. Oliver stared up at the dimming sky of what seemed like a painting, a million brush strokes coloring a world of dancing stars above him. Brilliant shades of purple, blue, and a teardrop of golden sunlight smeared the sky in an ombre of colors. The wind blew hard then, pushing the cold smell of snow into his lungs. He exhaled and dropped his head. "Oliver!" His eyes shot in the direction a high voice rang in melody. "Amy?" He turned to see Amy running towards him as fast as she could muster. Oliver ran to close the distance. Worry pumping from his heart and pulsing it through his body. Oliver grabbed Amy's shoulders. "What's wrong? Are you alright?" He asked. Amy's head was down and her breaths short in exertion. Each breath was ice in her lungs and each exhale a thick white fog. Amy took a deep breath and looked up at Oliver. His worry pouring from his eyes into her's. "Oliver, I-" she heaved in another breath. "I made this for you" Amy held out her palm and in it lay a small paper star. Oliver gently pinched the star between his index finger and thumb, examining it. "What is it?" He asked. "It's called a Lucky star." she smiled up at him. "What's it for?" He asked. "The nothing is a drak place, Oliver. It's easy to get lost in, but I thought that if you do, you could use the Lucky star as a light to follow out." Amy was staring at the sky now, admiring the twinkling stars. All Oliver could do was stare at her, not sure what to say. He looked back at the Lucky star now in his palm. "Oliver look!" She gasped. "Shooting stars!" Oliver gazed at the stars falling like rain. He moved beside her and looked at her. The excitement spread in a think layer on her face. Her eyes reflected the extravagant show above with a shine the sky didn't hold. Oliver smiled. The wind brushed through the trees almost making his next words inaudible. "Thank you, Amy"