Part 1

18th of January 2016 (9:05 A.M.)

She wasn't always fond of coffee. Then again, so was half the population and some of those who are, still find the first sip of the day to pack a surprising punch. It tasted bold – felt solid, she thought. Whatever taste the colour black would have will be none other than the taste of pure ground coffee in which no amount of sugar or cream will change the bitterness you'd taste after all the flavour has been slathered throughout your tongue. At the age of eighteen, she weighed the taste heavier than the feeling it gave. It was bitter and god-awful, therefore she wouldn't have one drop of it. Five years later, she'd refuse to leave home unless every vein in her body has been dyed with the caffeinated ink – nothing cheaper than the finest brand her allowance could afford which is to say, the very best. Amongst the depressing pile of scattered law textbooks that formed a city on the floor, empty cups of coffee and noodles on the desk, an open laptop that flickered a fan fiction site, Harry Potter posters that covered the wall, and a ruffled bed, there lived a girl named Bonnie Kwon.

Emerging from the rubble of her bed, a hand sluggishly searched for the crying Mandrake alarm clock. As much as she loved the damned memento, mornings for Bonnie just wasn't as light as they were eight years ago. Eight years ago, she'd spend every night at home finishing homework that were at most fifteen to twenty pages long. Eight years later, she's in her own unit - still finishing homework that were at least thirty pages long.

She rolled up to the side of the bed, lowered her feet on the rug and slowly got up, reaching for her unusual vintage-looking wired glasses at the side table. Plain white brick walls, wooden floor panels, basic kitchenware, bathroom with a tub, and a quaint sofa for two; her studio apartment was as mediocre as the days she spent living in it redeemed only by the fact that she had it all to herself. Lonesome as that may sound, she enjoyed her time alone, reading cases with the occasional fan fiction breaks; a cup of hot coffee always nearby.

Sunshine filtered through the draped curtains as she poured her first cup of Joe – the first and only thing she looked forward to every morning albeit a snowy grey weather or a smouldering bright one. Coffee for her was like a best friend. It was there throughout her first year in law school – cheering her on during sleepless nights; walked with her from sunrise to sunset along the streets going to different classes, and at times even become a warm hug after a gruesome day.

At the bustling age of twenty-three, she found herself at a standstill. Once upon a time she dreamt of becoming a lawyer, climbing up to the top while fighting for justice. But the longer she spent studying and reading the mountains of books and winning lists of mock trials, the more she got anxious on what the future will hold outside the walls of her studies and careers. Having a successful job was peachy and all but is by no means a reason to let life pass you by. And so as she raked her fingers through her straight bobbed hair, covered her plain white top with her denim-blue sweater and laced her jet-black oxfords, she stepped outside; hoping to find something more.

2:20 P.M.

"Bonnie."

"Hey Bonnie." The girl snapped her newly painted fingers; mint-green like her patched up Converse.

"Yes Kaye, I'm still not going. Thank you for checking for the fourth time." Bonnie kept her gaze outside the classroom window, eyelids heavy under her glasses from finishing another fan fiction the night before.

"Yeah but c'mon!"

Leaning over, she whispered. "It's a frikin homo party. Shouldn't that be enough? Besides, it's just few blocks away from your place."

Admittedly, she did enjoy exploring the ever growing, ever colourful gay section at her usual website. She won't however, admit becoming more and more like them. Those sexually charged girls can go enjoy themselves in those pages as she would always say.