Prologue

My name is... Emma. That's all I know. Don't ask me where I'm from, or where I'm going. I don't know. I don't even how I got here.

Here is a large metal lift filled with crates, that is slowly coming to a stop. The top opens and someone throws down a rope ladder. A tall, blond boy climbs down and drops into the lift. A couple other boys peer down. The boy looks at me. He looks confused for a second. Then he turns to his friends.

"It's a girl," he says.

"No way," a burly, Asian boy says.

"Dibs," an African-American boy.

"None of you shuck faces have dibs on anything," the blond boy says. He turns to me. "My name's Newt. And who are you, Greenie?"

"Emma," I say, standing up.

"Welcome to the Glade," Newt says.

~1 month later~

"You're going in the Maze with me today," Newt says.

I nod and grip my spear.

"Let's go."

We go on for about eight hours,, until Newt says to take a break. I reach into my bag and take out a bottle of water. When I got o pass it to Newt, he's gone.

That's when I hear blood curdling screams.

Newt.

I run as fast as I can, towards the direction of the scream. I find Newt, sitting on the floor of the Maze. He is clutching his leg, like he broke something. When I get closer, I se it's worse than I thought. A bit of his bone has poked through the skin. My stomach heaves, but I have to be strong for Newt. He needs me now.

"You jumped," I said. "You climbed the bloody wall and jumped. Didn't you?"

He nods.

"Why would you do a shuck thing like that."

"Why do you care? No one here cares about me," he says, his tone bitter.

But I do. I carefully pick Newt up and start to carry him back to the Doors, but I stagger under his weight. He's older and taller. He's got to weigh more than me.

"Just leave me. The shuck Doors close in five minutes."

"I'm not leaving you."

I make my way back to the Doors as fast as I can. We just make it. The Doors close behind us, almost catching my shirt.

"HELP!" I scream. "WE NEED HELP!!"

The Med-Jacks come and take Newt from me. I collapse for exhaustion. Newts eyes start to close.

"NEWT! YOU CAN'T DIE ON ME!! I WON'T LET YOU!!"

My vision starts to go blurry and the last thing I see is Gally bending down to pick me up.