chapter two.

enjoy!

xxx

***

Chapter two

"Ah, Emmery, there you are," Mrs. Evans said, looking over at me as I made my way into the kitchen. "For a second I thought my son had kidnapped you on his horse." 

Laughing, I sat down at the counter and placed my bag down. "No, I was distracted though. He has a beautiful horse and he looks like a good rider."

"He loves that horse. Eric has... a rough time at school," she told me, sliding into the seat opposite me. "His escape is coming home and riding his horse, caring for them."

"It must be hard for him," I said, my eyebrows furrowing.

"Eric's happy," she said, smiling softly. "As long as he's happy with the way his life is, I can't complain." 

"My ears are burning," someone said from behind me. When I turned around, I came face to face with the young rider I had only saw minutes before. "I'm Eric, but my mum has probably already shown you the baby photos and birth certificate." 

"Afraid not, but I'll make sure to check them out later," I said, grinning. "I'm Emmery." 

"Nice to meet you, Em," he said, walking past the table towards the fridge. "Mum, Cam is down in the stables," he told Mrs. Evans, running his fingers through his hair. "He kind of broke the shovel..."

"Again?" she asked, sighing. "He's paying for this one. Tell him to stop getting so pi-annoyed," she said, changing her choice of words at the last minute.

"I'm not going back down there," he told her, sipping his drink. "He's annoyed he broke it so he's swearing and everything." 

"Oh god." Mrs. Evans got up and rubbed her forehead. "I guess I better go down and give him the spare then. I don't want him scaring the horses."

"I can do it, if you want," I told her, standing up, not liking seeing her look so tired considering I could do it for her. "Just tell me where it is and I'll go give it to him."

"It's in the shed outside, dear," she said, thanking me silently with her smile. 

Once I had the spare shovel, I made my way down to the stable. I was expecting a boy only a year or two older than Eric to be swearing and running his hand through his messy hair, not a boy around my age. 

"Uh." I blinked at the boy in surprise. "You are not as young as I thought you were going to be." 

"What?" he said gruffly, looking up at me then doing a double take. "Who are you?" 

"I'm Emmery," I said slowly, holding the shovel out. "I'm living here for a while."

"Oh, right. My mum told me about you. Family friend's kid, right?" I nodded my head. "Well, I'm Cameron, or Hunter, depends on what you think of me," he said, shrugging. 

"Depends on what people think of you?" 

"Yeah," he nodded his head. "Hunter is my dad's last name, and some people call me it because of my ability to herd and all that. Others call me Cameron because they don't want to offend me or something, I don't know." 

Nodding my head slowly, I walked further into the stable and sat down on the haystack. Cameron's eyes scanned over me before turning around and kicking the broken shovel aside. I watched him as he walked into a stable and started to clean it out. My nose scrunched but I didn't complain, if I was going to live here, I'd have to help out sometimes. 

"So, your mum and brothers seem nice," I said, feeling stupid after saying it. Your mum and brothers seem nice, what the hell is that? 

Laughing, Cameron leaned out the stable to look at me. "Yeah, they're nice people."