Chapter 17

"Good Evening Sis" Evelyn greeted Maria with just a hint of the long forgotten quirkiness that she had shed- like animals moult- as if to grow into a better version of herself while growing up in less than favourable circumstances. Wales had been the one phase of her life that was the most dreadful yet the most giving. Had she not been through the struggle in her early years, she wouldn't have come so far. She was thirty three and much ahead of most people her age.

"Good evening Eve. You seem in very good spirits today. Something good happen?" Evelyn noticed the slight edge of cleverly concealed accusation tinged with curiosity.

Accusation for what?

Maria gave her a searching look. Evelyn's fine eye for detail told her that Maria was not happy about something. Something related to her.

"Nah. Nothing sissy. Just had a nice day I s'pose. Plus it's bright outside."

Maria slightly raised her eyebrow at her usage of the word 'bright'. Evelyn's expertly hidden Welsh accent was surfacing like it always did in front of Maria. The typical sing song accent and rolled 'R's were coming back to her just a tad bit.

"First of all darling, that receptionist of yours, what was her name I forgot -"

"Emma" Evelyn said quietly.

"Yes yes Emma. She is a tad bit inefficient don't you think? I think you should reconsider darling."

"I'll think about it Maria," she said stiffly. She was fond of Emma notwithstanding that she was a little vain. The 'first of all' indicated that Emma was not the only one they were going to talk about. There was more to come. Evelyn waited patiently.

"So how is Lucas doing?" Maria asked, suddenly wanting to catch her off guard. And the question had the desired effect.

Evelyn was a little taken aback. This was the question she was least expecting. Evelyn remembered her eventful session with Lucas today and how he had seemed cheerful and had opened up about his personal life a little more. She also remembered fondly how endearing his choice of words had been when she had told him her age.

"Holy mother of God! You're thirty-three?!"

Her alabaster skin coloured. Maria scowled at her baby sister.

"Please don't tell me you're falling for him"

"N.. no. I'm not."

"Yes you mighty well are" Maria's retort bordered on well-contained anger. "He is not stable Evelyn. You, being the shrink, know that better than me." she added with desperation.

"Yes I do Maria. But he won't harm anyone. His idea of Charlotte being the only one for him stems from his parents' divorce and his mother's ugly death. His own failure at love adds further to his desperation. He doesn't want to end up like his mother. And Charlotte being the only stable lover he has had, has now become his only prospect at acquiring love. For him starting over again just doesn't seem like an option." Evelyn asserted matter-of-factly.

"He has hurt Lottie in the past. Physically." she added. "I don't want anything of the sort to happen to you." Though Maria's voice softened, her gaze remained hard and insistent.

"I know"

"You can stop seeing him if you want. I won't force my opinions on you Eve. I just want the best for you. You are just like Charlotte for me. I want to protect you to the best of my ability. Not that you need protecting. But I've seen you grow up into this amazingly successful person Eve. Think about it."

Evelyn sighed. She liked Luke. Not in a romantic way perhaps but nonetheless she had found him attractive and capable. But what Maria said could not be ignored. After all she had done for Evelyn , she could not let her suggestion slide. Being the daughter of a whore and an abusive alcoholic, Maria as a child had faced immense adversity. Their whore of a mother had been very beautiful with long blonde locks and ocean blue eyes and a chestnut face. Their alcoholic father had tried to sell both Maria and a three-year-old Evelyn to a pimp. Maria had scooped Evelyn in her arms and had escaped their squat in the dead of the night in the freezing cold. Ten-year-old Maria had done odd jobs at people's homes for two years to be able to eat at least one meal and also to feed hungry and crying Evelyn. Evelyn always found herself somehow under Maria's debt for raising her with great feat in her childhood and for protecting her.

"You're right sissy. I'll think about it"

"Good," Maria said with a warm smile.

"Oh my goodness. Look at the time. I'm afraid I'll have to leave. There is a cocktail dinner I have to be at. Take care of yourself, will you Eve?"

"Yes, I will. See you." Evelyn said with a small, sad smile.

"See ya darling. Love you." Maria blew her a kiss and left. Her Louboutins clicked with each step she took. She watched her retreating back until it disappeared behind the giant glass doors and questioned her subservience to Maria for the first time in all these years.