Death, my old friend...

Death. It's apart of all of us. And we all fear it. From the day we are born, to the day we breathe our last breath. And we fear it all of our life. Yes, even the ones who take their own lives, the ones who would embrace death as their old friend. But we all fear it still. Or really, we fear the unknown abyss beyond our lives.

Scientifically, death is seen as the loss of life. When your mind and heart stops functioning, and you take your final breath, and let the air flow out of your lungs for the final, painful time. This is how a lot of people will see death. The end of their life...

Others, however, they seem to want to be with death. This "mystical force" or "otherwordly being" is appealing to some humans. They want to be with "him". But they surely still fear what could be behind all of this, and what is waiting beyond.

And yet, their are the ones who can never experience this fear. Because they are dragged out of life too quickly. These are the kids who doesn't survive childbirth, the ones who live their short, cruel life and die young. They can't learn to fear death. But they will always still fear the unknown

Now, this is a story of a man. A man who has lived his whole life in fear. When he was young, about 3 years old, he had a near death experience. A car crash. His mother and himself where driving late one night, and some stupid drunk driver came out of nowhere, and rammed them. His mother didn't make it... But he survived. This was the beginning of a serious of very unfortunate, and fatal events. 

Next, when he was 10. and then again at 16. Then at 20. All of these experiences led him to believe that he would never die. But, he still feared this unknown abyss even more. It eventually drove him mad. He secluded himself from the rest of the world. He was called the "crazy old nutter" by his neighbours, and people he used to call "friends". He would never leave his house. He would have his groceries delivered, and has all of his windows boarded up. He never left, in the fear of death. He feared the second he left his house, a car would hit him, or a plane crash would finally get him, or even, sometimes, he thought about a terrorist attack!

Later in his life, at the ripe old age of 38, he was ironically killed by the common cold. His immune system was so bad after living indoors all the time, that this common virus was his killer. In his final moments, he saw him. Death. Standing there over him, staring into, what seemed like, this mans soul. Death saw that this man had suffered. Suffered many losses in his life. So instead of taking this man into the abyss, he sort of...hmm..."employed" the man. Death knew that this man could help others. Others like him. So the man travelled the planet. And he did exactly what he needed to do. He saved the children. The kids like him, who suffered so much. He watched over them, until they aged.

Death is a peculiar thing. It's, sometimes a wonderful thing. And more than likely, it's the source of tragedy, sadness, and sometimes betrayal. We all see death in our own perspective, and fear it our own way. But remember...no one, can escape the claws of death...