Devil

Thank you bhouchen/Brittney for giving me the courage to post :) I needed it :P

Prologue

"Poppy Korrigan. Would you please come with me?"

I got up from my chair where I had been sitting for the past two hours. My ass was numb, as was my mind was too, from going over and over every detail, every reason, every outcome. Everything. Anything.

"He can't be, he just can't. He wouldn't do that do me," I thought desperately.

The nurse gave me a probably intended reassuring smile. But I could see the sympathy, the truth in her eyes. They were supposed to hide it but I had could see it. I don't know how, but I could. Or maybe I couldn't actually see it, but I felt it. Deep down. But like anyone else would be, I was in denial. But this time it was different. He was different. He was Ash and that was it. Nothing else could have mattered apart from the fact that he was him. Nothing could have changed how much he meant to me, how much I cared for him. How much I still cared for him. But now, in the back of my mind, in my heart, I could feel it. The loneliness. The hurt. The pain.

He had made a promised to me: A promise to never leave me. It was a pretty stupid promise to make though.

A memory came into my mind as I followed the nurse along the corridor. It was Ash and I. We were around twelve years old and we were reminiscing the past year - The year his mom passed away. It was tough for both of us, but more so for him. It wasn't a shock, Angelica's death, but it still hurt. She was healthy and happy but then the Motor Neuron Disease hit. It's a slow death and even though Stephen Hawking has outlived the average ten years, most people die within five. Aunt Angelica lived six years and twenty-five days. Even that's abnormal.

I had made a joke and said there must be a curse on our family.

"The Korrigan Curse."

Korrigan, a name we took to after the demise of our mothers. Even though we both had lost our mothers, Ash's was taken away before it all happened. Before it all began. It hurt him harder. For me, it was like a slight pain - Like when your a kid in the playground and you scrap your knee: It stings a little, but goes away after a while. Thats what it was like for me. We had laughed about the so-called "curse" and started talking about something more cheerful.

'Korrigan Curse,' I smiled grimly in my mind. If only I knew how right I really was.

'Miss, the doctor will speak to you in here.', the nurse said with a warm smile. But I bet if I looked into her mind and read her thoughts, she would be feeling sympathy for me. I didn't care for sympathy or pity as I could not give either one. I ignored her - which I suppose was a bit rude but at that moment I couldn't give a shit about "proper" manners - and walked into the office of Dr. Taylor. A special case, this one. Dr. Taylor was in his fifties and had this calming aura about him. But even that couldn't help me today.

'Have a seat Poppy,' he said. I sat on the warm leather chair and just looked at him. Daring him to say it. And then he did.