An Introduction

"One more time!" A boy desperately cried out. "Just give me one more chance, I'm begging you. Let me go on just one more hunt. I won't let any more get away."

"Son," The imposing, dark figure had said quietly and  yet it had boomed throughout the large chamber. "Every single hunt you've been on since you were ten, you have come back empty-handed. Whether it be does, stags, bears, boars, foxes, or wolves. Every single time. On every hunt you take pity on the creatures and let them go." He paused there and let out a deep sigh. "This time we were hunting wolves. Vicious predators, yet you took one look at their scrawny bodies and prominent ribs and you leaped in front of them. THOSE BARBARIANS HAVE KILLED OUR PEOPLE." The once determined boy cowered in fear as the room seemed to shake. "You shall not go out of the castle until you have proven yourself to be confident and not compassionate to animals."

"Fine." The boy spat out, but soon changed his words after a fierce growl warned him not to cross a line, "Yes, Father. I understand." Then he despondently shuffled out of the room. 

"Honey, you did the right thing for our little lotus, he is still only fifteen and needs to grow up to not be so meek, however you did not need to have been so stern with him." A beautiful woman informed the scowling father. As he turned to face her, you could see the scowl slowly evaporate into a look of tenderness for the woman.

"I guess you are right, Esmerelda," he said while looking thoughtfully toward the door. "I just want what is best for our son. He is still young and has much to learn, but he only likes caring for animals. It has gotten tiring as I age and the looming shadow of my death ever haunts me."