Part II

I felt my world stop. My heart was pounding. All I could feel was his touch. My mind went blank and I could not breathe. I dared not to open my eyes, for the fear of what I might see if I did. His lips held mine as I took his scent that I adored. I tried pulling away but he wouldn’t let me. He was savoring the moment—the kiss he has been longing for awhile now. He cupped my chin and caressed my face. He broke away from me with a wide, triumphant smile plastered on his beautiful face. In a hug, he whispered in my ear, “I want to say sorry for what I just did, but I won’t because I’m not. I couldn’t help myself”.

He gazed at me, hoping for a reply. I didn’t know what to say or even how it happened. I could see that he was indeed not sorry for what he just did.

“What? It’s not like I never kissed you before,” he tried to break the silence.

“I—I know. But it was never like--that, you kiss me on the cheek every time,” I stammered.

“Well, I like to shake things up a little bit. I never kissed you that way before ‘cause I didn’t have the chance. I was so wound up with a million other thoughts swimming in my head before, but now I could only think about kissing you… so I went for it,” he said.

“Without warning,” I pointed out.

“My point exactly. Unexpected, hence, magic.”

All I could do was laugh at his foolish logic, but I could not just dive straight into his arms. I wanted to see how it would be like to be his best friend again after all of this. I was determined to find myself and I wanted to test my theory about how love and fate works. I scooted a few inches away from him, keeping distance.

“That was wrong on so many levels. You shouldn’t have done that in the first place! We’re friends! Best friends, remember?” the words rushed out of my mouth.

“There’s a part of me that still wishes we’re more than that. There’s this little voice inside my head telling me that we still have a chance,” he said as he pulled me close and embraced me.

He continued on with his itinerary 30 minutes later and went ahead with stretching my injured arm and leg. After that he cooked lunch and walked with me to the dining room when it was time to eat.

Hours flew and it was time to watch Grey’s Anatomy. He always fed on my addiction with this drama, said it was healthy for me and was a good way to at least live as a doctor for awhile—be in his world. He watched in silence as I engross myself as the doctors do an operation on young conjoined female twins.

“I could see you doing that, you know, once you become this unreachable big shot neurosurgeon who works in one of the best hospitals around.”

“Yea. That’s what I live for. Saving lives is what I do. That’s why I saved you,” another one of his dreamy smiles came my way.