Learning Her Waltz

~Chapter 6~

Yuki's POV:

     I gazed upon the crowd and seen everyone mingling the way I wanted, and all with bright smiles on their faces. Everyone looked the same there were no humans, vampires, vampire hunters nor aristocrats. The only difference being what drink who had out of blood or punch.

     "Seems as if we will be going back there after all." Kaname said while leading me to the dance floor. Father called the shots earlier and since this is me and Kaname's party we should attend such a square the way hosts are meaning to.

     I stared at my feet as I followed my vampire husband around some vampires chatting, our hands tightly grasping each other. "What do you mean "there" Kaname?" He chuckled at me as if I had made an amusing joke. "I mean Cross Academy, Yuki. When your father said that the Academy had been rebuilt I thought of his pacifist ideology to allow both humans and vampires to coexist...and took in on his beliefs once more."

     "Huh? Is that why we're going back? Because you want to help father?" I didn't realize how much Kaname wants this dream to be his as well. And how he so desperately wants this dream to evolve.

     Kaname showed me his handsome smile as he pulled me close on the dance floor. I could see his eyes, his adoring features. I began to understand why he doesn't like the masquerade theme of the ball. Kaname put one of his strong hands on my waist and held my hand that wasn't on his shoulder with the other.

     "Indeed Yuki, I want you to be with me at all times though. Including Ai. So I am taking you both with me... Although, you will have to attend the night class as Ai attends the new elementary classes there." Secretly I had frowned, my face hidden behind the mask but I nodded anyways.

     "I understand." That means that I'll be with Kaname all the time right? Then I should be happy...... But the odds are that Zero will also be there attending the day class, or he just doesn't come back at all.

     "Yuki is something the matter?"

     "Huh? O-oh no I'm fine. I-I was just...being a part of the night class will give me a better advantage to keep my studies up while I go on patrol on the Disciplinary Committee." I had so much trouble with my studies and being a Disciplinary Committee member; maybe being in the night class WONT be so bad. The grip on my hand and waist tightened and I was pulled closer into Kaname's chest. He had an expression of anxiety on his face, an expression I hardly ever see...

     "Yuki." Did I say something wrong? "I don't want you being a part of the Disciplinary Committee this time."

     "W-What? But Kaname-"

     "That job is very harmful task. Keeping all of the academy safe, even the day class students... I just don't want anything to happen to you." Kaname's eyes shocked me with a blood red, as if telling me he was serious with a threat. Telling me he doesn't want me going against his word.

     I teared up and pulled away from him, trying my best not to let the tears pour from my mask, "How could you ask me to not be a part of the Disciplinary Committed? It's my tribute to my father's pacifist ideology!"

     Kaname had said nothing. The look of seriousness gave off his feelings and many words came from the look. I tightly closed my eyes and ran behind me trying to find a place of solution, but, accidentally, I bumped into someone while making the attempt.

     I opened my eyes to see a man in a burgundy tux, silver hair and a silver mask that almost matched mine. He happened to be dancing with a woman like every man at the party. I didn't know what to say. Both him and his date stared at me without emotion supporting their faces. The female stepped towards me, "Excuse me- are you alright? Y-You're crying!"

     I wiped my face and felt how tears burn my skin. I hadn't noticed the tears that started to run like I was. My eyes wondered to the woman's date and in my vision, his mask was overcome by a face I had longed to see again. But then the mask came back.

     I keep thinking of Zero.

     Without a word to either of them I charged my way out of the ballroom-

     "Hey! Wait a sec!"

Zero's POV:

     That woman... She was crying.

     "What do you think was the natter with her?" Yori inquired looking up at me. I let out a long and agitated breath before beginning to make my way towards the way the crying woman with long beautiful brown hair.

     "Hold on Zero, wait!"

∆• •∆

     I looked all around the downstairs and in every closet I could find, but my luck wasn't that grand on finding even a crying woman. I felt the stuffiness in the ball room and went onto the porch for some fresh air. My head lifted into the night of the moon and cool breeze of night and I scored from the strangling feeling around my neck.

     "Damn this tie," I fingered the knot of the fabric and tried to listen it up, but it just wouldn't release me. Giving up, I sighed.

     Suddenly two hands came up to my neck and lightly triggered on the tie, allowing me to finally breathe. The hands were small and in blood-red gloves.

     "There you are-"

     "There," The vampire child said while perfecting the burgundy tie around my neck.

     I stared down at the woman who had been crying earlier. She wore a red dress and gloves with a head band around her hair and a ribbon around the base of her throat. Her dress was beautiful and looked like a dress similar to the vampire child I had seen earlier in the night. Saying nothing and looking away from the woman, I remembered that I was chasing this woman to find out why she was crying.

     "You were crying." I simply said. The light of the moon caught the single tear on the woman's chin. I lightly swatted it away and for a reason I couldn't wrap my head around, she blushed bright enough to overcome the dark of night.

     She faced the moon and nodded, "You followed me."

     "To find out if you were alright. It's a rare sight to see a woman crying at a ball in a beautiful gown." I pulled out the annoying hankie that was tucked away in my pocket and handed it to the woman.

     "Here."

     She sniffled and accepted the cloth. "It is kind of you to see why a stranger is crying."

     She's right. Normally I wouldn't even care if a child cried. But something told me to follow this woman. Something told me that I'd regret it if I just let her go. The length of her hair was past her waist. I let my eyes follow up her body to her face, it now being clean and dry.

     "-Thank you, sir, but I think I'm going to head back inside now." She bowed and began to walk back into the ballroom. I thought about how the woman smiled, how she went from sad to smiling in an instant. Yuki suddenly came to mind, but I shook my head, trying to ignore the memory of her smile so I could muster up the courage I'll soon need to kill her. But it suddenly felt impossible to do so.

     "WAIT!" I grabbed the woman's arm. The music inside slowly faded into a slow song, a song slow enough to waltz to.

     "W-What is it?" The mysterious woman gazed at me straight forward as I shocked her. As if she had seen something in me like I do her. I didn't know what I was doing when I asked the woman to-

     "Dance with me." She looked taken aback. In a daze. Had I gone too far and made her uncomfortable? I let go of her hand, only to be pulled back into an embrace of the waltz. The feeling of my ears heating up made me look away from the princess in front of me.

     "I'd enjoy a dance with you very much... If you are still alright with that?"

     In a chuckle I took the first step, and with a sweet smile on the woman's glistening lips, she followed my every motion.