Chapter 1

"Tighten your corset! Your blouse makes you look fat! Change your hat now!" Shrieked my stylist.

"Okay! Okay! The blue formal doesn't suit me I get it." I said, eyeing the plump woman in a purple suit whom I call my stylist.

"Finally girl! You'd think the younger more 'swagger' ones would get it more than me. I guess that's why it's my job." She flaunted.

"Okay, Rosemary. I saw a emerald green dress on the rack before, will you fetch it and some accessories?" I asked, tired of her behaviour.

"Of course Madame." Rosemary said as she trotted off to search for the emerald green dress.

I turned to the mirror, gently brushing my ginger hair so it flattened on my chest. I began to fiddle with the engagement ring gently placed on my finger by my fiance, soon to be husband. I was actually getting ready too go to our engagement party, where people would be dressed in extravagant clothing and fancy hats. I don't complain about our cultures style, in fact I think it's quite amazing. Just there are some people who don't know the difference between ugly and colorful.

Of course there are the branch goers, they don't have bright colors or big hats. They wear dull clothing for their culture.

Of course we don't actually live in a tree. We live in a tower city called The Tree. After World War 6, Britain secluded themselves from the world, forming, yes that's right, The Tree. I've heard stories of how our culture used to be. And I'm not sure whether I would of preferred to live in the 21st century or 51st.

"Kyleen! Kyleen! My dear I have found the perfect outfit. Come see!" Rosemary screeched.

"Okay.." I said.

I made my way towards the round glass table that was placed directly in the middle of a dressing room. Rosemary had set out an emerald green dress with a poof skirt and a delicately laced flower pattern on the bodice, a amethyst necklace, simply green heels, and a flower laced veil.

"I know I should save veils for the wedding day, but I couldn't resist~" I stopped Rosemary mid-sentence.

"It's perfect. James will love it. Run along Rosemary, I need to get changed." I said, mimicking the old British accent.

"I love it when you do that accent. Apparently the Branch goers still speak like that." Rosemary said as she plodded out of the room.

I fingered the embroidered flowers on the bodice, admiring it's beauty. This wasn't the dress I saw on the rack, but it was certainly as beautiful.

After slipping into the dress I called Rosemary back in to lace it up, as she plodded back into the room I noticed her eyes were red and puffy. I had only been 10 minutes putting on the corset and dress, but I didn't expect Rosemary to start crying.

"Rosemary, are you okay?" I asked, in a comforting voice.

"Oh it's nothing, I just got a call from my doctor with the results from my pregnancy test." She said, sniffling.

"What? Why are you crying? Was it bad news?" I asked, knowing her answer.

"Yes, it was bad news. I'm pregnant." She said, sobbing.

You see when you get pregnant in the TreeTops you cannot keep the baby, it's simply not good. You cannot grow up looking up to someone. The baby get's given to authorities, where they will keep the baby on tubes and brain learning stimulators until it is 13. When the child is 13 it is then put in a home, where they will exercise, eat, sleep, and learn until they are 18. When they can finally go to The Choosing Ceremony, there they will place their hand into a bowl of water, and a screen in front of them will tell them whether they belong in The Branches or The TreeTops. You are never to go searching for your parents. You need to learn to be independent. Your parents can only name you.