Movie Review - Divergent

Movie Of The Month : DIVERGENT

Written by @KelseyA

Quick Plot: DIVERGENT is a thrilling action-adventure film set in a world where people are divided into distinct factions based on human virtues. Tris Prior (Shailene Woodley) is warned she is Divergent and will never fit into any one group. When she discovers a conspiracy by a faction leader (Kate Winslet) to destroy all Divergents, Tris must learn to trust in the mysterious Four (Theo James) and together they must find out what makes being Divergent so dangerous before it's too late

Summary: Set in the future many years from now, in the fenced-off remnants of a post-war Chicago, the powers-that-be headed by the joyless Jeanine Matthews have society organized into factions. The factions that are Amity, Candor, Erudite, Abnegation and Dauntless is populated by people who show a particular defining trait. For example, Dauntless are pig-headedly brave. Abegnation are miserably humble. Erudite are the most well-read of the lot.

A coming-of-age aptitude test for the teens reveals that Tris doesn't fit into any of the above cookie-cutter moulds. So she is a threat to the system because of her free-thinking ways. Her simple parents know this and tell her to keep it a secret.

After electing to join Dauntless at a 'Choosing Ceremony', she makes friends with other freshers Christina and Peter. And predictably enough, falls for one of the head trainers named Four. Her conscience leads her to try and foil Jeanine Matthews' senseless plan to exterminate innocents and then escape, preferably with Four, where they can live and love like normal people.

Thoughts: Winslet's taciturn character is forgettable. There are parallels to Harry Potter (Choosing Ceremony, training school) and Hunger Games (thematic elements) and while Woodley is no Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss, she makes a nice transition from shrinking violet to a lady who is completely in charge of her life. And it is Four who helps her make this transition.

At face value, Divergent comes across as a film that doesn't push any boundaries whatsoever. But at the heart of this dystopian tale awash in grays and browns is a lesson about finding one's identity and being at peace with oneself.

*(trailer to the side) Would you watch this movie? Have you already seen it? What do you think of the plot and the characters? Vote, leave us a comment and let us know your thoughts!*